WAV files

Generative Music Mixer
rjan
antispam_a: cole
antispam_b: 9

WAV files

Postby rjan » Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:19 am

Hi there,

first let me say I'm really impressed by Mixtikl!!
I've been working with Ableton Live and Fruityloops Studio for years, but Mixtikl is a complete new way of creating music: I love it!

Now my 'problem'...
I've been trying to import my own WAV-files, like a drumkick sample or whatever.
First question: is this possible?
Second question: I guess it has something to do with where put your samples. In a specific map or something.
Can it be a simple WAV or do I have to zip it?

I'm using Mixtikl for Windows and Android.

Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

Ruud.

imtim
Site Admin
antispam_b: 2

Re: WAV files

Postby imtim » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:47 am

rjan wrote:first let me say I'm really impressed by Mixtikl!!
I've been working with Ableton Live and Fruityloops Studio for years, but Mixtikl is a complete new way of creating music: I love it!

Thanks very much Ruud, it is much appreciated. If you have time, it would be very nice indeed if you could leave a review in the Amazon Appstore (or GP, depending on what Android version you have). :)

rjan wrote:Now my 'problem'...
I've been trying to import my own WAV-files, like a drumkick sample or whatever.
First question: is this possible?

Yes, it is, for both Windows and Android versions. One thing you need to grok right off the bat, though, is that if you import a WAV file to a Content Cell then it will not be pitch shifted or time stretched if you change the mix tempo or root - it plays just as a sample which you can loop or not (so it should really be at the mix tempo and root).

If you want to use WAVs that can be pitch shifted or time stretched if you change the tempo or root then you need to put it into a zipped pak which contains the relevant information. For info on how to create such zips see: http://intermorphic.com/tiklpak/guide/

rjan wrote:Second question: I guess it has something to do with where put your samples. In a specific map or something.
Can it be a simple WAV or do I have to zip it?
I'm using Mixtikl for Windows and Android.

What you do varies between Windows and Android and also where you put them and if you want to use the same mix file/loops in both Windows and Android versions ("mix interoperability" is the wording I will use here to refer to that). We have instructions on this here: http://intermorphic.com/help/index.php/ ... stallation

The key is to put all your WAV files (or zip files) in what we call the "Intermorphic folder". On Windows that is the "/Music/Intermorphic" folder (see above). On Android, that is in a "/Intermorphic" folder that is at the top level of your *Internal* storage card (you can use external storage card, see below, but then any referenced wav files might not be found if you wan "mix interoperability").

The next thing is to know how you load these WAV files (i.e. not in paks), and it is not obvious (sorry). There are 2 main ways to do it, depending if you are using the "Intermorphic Folder" or not.

Note: If you use the "Intermorphic Folder" on both Windows and Android devices for your WAV files, then you have a chance of using that mix file on both devices ("mix interoperability" is to do with file references/paths).

>>
1) Using "Intermorphic Folder" (by far the easiest)
Go into a Content Cell and select the Content button. In the list select the top "(..)" item once (if you have already got content in that cell, first go to the home of the pak by selecting [Pak Home]) and select the "User_Content" folder at the bottom. You will then see the contents of the "Intermorphic Folder", which will include any recordings you have made and your WAV files. You can preview a WAV file by tapping the orange speaker icon on the right to start/stop the preview, otherwise just tap the centre to select it and add it to your mix.
<<

>>
2) Using some other folder or external storage card
Go into a Content Cell and select the bottom right "Advanced" button. Select "-[Browse]".

On Windows this allows you to select a WAV file from the file system using File Explorer.

On Android this first loads a screen that probably shows 3 things: the first is a path to the current pak on which the mix is based e.g. "intermorphic/mixtikl/paks/IM_AL_Dance_125a", the second is a path to "intermorphic/mixtikl/paks" and the third is something like "storage/emulated/0/Intermorphic". The third one is the one you want to select, and it lets you browse the "Intermorphic Folder" referred to above (even if you have not used it). Once selected, you see another "Content List" screen (there are 3 filter options at the bottom, just ignore these).

Note: This will list all the WAV files or other content you have copied (if any) to the "Intermorphic Folder", as well as any recordings you have made with Mixtikl AZ. If any WAV file is there, you can just select it to have it added to the Content Cell.

As you are using an external storage card then from Content List you are going to have to explore a bit further. You do this with the "(..)" item at the top of the list which takes you up a directory. You may need to press that 3 times to get to a list where you see something like (extSdCard) as one of the items in the list. If you select that, then you should see the "Intermorphic" folder you created on your *external* SD Card. Select that and then you can select any WAV file you have in there.

The thing to note here is that you have to go through those steps every time you want to load a WAV file into any Content Cell, starting with the "Advanced" button.
<<

This is where Paks come in handy. If you create a collection of WAV files, zipped into a Pak, and put that pak in the "Intermorphic Folder" for both Windows and Android, then you can create a new mix based on that pak, see wav files with less taps, use pitch shifting/time stretching etc. It all depends on what you want to do. If you want to use mixes on both Windows and Android, then I would recommend going the pak route. Yes, it takes a bit to initially get your head around it, but you can also get some of the free paks (see: http://intermorphic.com/tiklpak/#downloads) and unzip them to see how they work. Once you have grokked it, paks are simple and effective. We put all this in place simply so it was possible to use your own content in Mixtikl, and in all versions of it!

rjan wrote:Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks in advance!
Ruud.

I hope this helped a bit. I will check to review our website entries on this and improve them where I can. Maybe also created a new FAQ entry. If anything is not clear or is wrong, just shout!

Atb

tim

Return to “Mixtikl”