Soundfonts

Generative Music Mixer
sf-101
antispam_a: cole
antispam_b: 9

Soundfonts

Postby sf-101 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:29 pm

Hello.

While not new to Mixtikl (far from it), I am new to adding my own content to the program. I'm currently running version 7.2.2 on MacOS Sierra 10.12.3., and I'd like to know:

1. Whether there are any program limitations for soundfonts;
2. Where exactly these soundfonts are installed (to which folder and whether these folders are generally hidden in MacOS);

Cheers guys, and continued thanks for a great product and continuing source of inspiration.

Umcorps
Platinum

Re: Soundfonts

Postby Umcorps » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:07 am

Hi

1. Whether there are any program limitations for soundfonts

Not really. As long as the sounfont is authored correctly to sf2 standard specs it will play fine. Stereo samples etc are fully supported.

Some aspects of the sf2 spec are not implemented fully by the wavetable player in the PSE. There is, for example, no filter built into the player so a soundfont patch that uses an internal filter envelope will not sound as expected. But it will still play.

The reason for this is that filter envelopes and pitch/amplitude related LFOs as implemented in the sf2 specs are pretty crude and difficult to access. It's a lot more flexible to use the wavetable player as a basic sample player device and then use other PSE features and modules for sound shaping as needed. It's not worth baking that much detail into the soundfont itself.

2. Where exactly these soundfonts are installed (to which folder and whether these folders are generally hidden in MacOS);

If you click on "Options -> Show Mixtikl data folder" in the Mixtikl menu bar it should open a Finder window showing the user data folder. I just drop custom sound fonts in there. After doing that, you might find you need to close and reopen Mixtikl for them to show up.

sf-101

Re: Soundfonts

Postby sf-101 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:14 am

That's great, thank you - I'll give it a go. Appreciate your help.

Return to “Mixtikl”