Intermorphic Sound Engine
Umcorps
Platinum
antispam_a: cole
antispam_b: 9

"I think I need more guidance on Partikl.."

Postby Umcorps » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:08 am

Picking up on questions asked in the Latest release section

oldlibmike wrote:I love this program, but I think I need more guidance on Partikl....

So, this seems to be an option for all of the "generative" loops in the tiklpaks.
I know there is a manual for Partikl, but does it apply to only the generative content in my mixes?

Partikl is Mixtikl's sound generator and FX system. You can only access it in full using the desktop version at the moment. It's complexity makes it hard to implement on a little phone screen. But when you edit FX setting in the mixer view, for example, those are Partikl FX units you are using.

So, in that way every sound in Mixtikl at least goes through the FX section of Partikl meaning its not limited just to generative content.

But if you want to go beyond tweaking FX and get into adjusting or making new content then you have to get into Partikl directly.

Can I edit the content there and/or create new content using just the Partikl button?.

Both. Although editing existing content is probably a better place to start finding your feet as making new content from scratch is a more complex process altogether.

Partikl brings together 3 different sound "engines" that provide voicings for generative or fixed midi content. One is a sampler that uses DLS1 format wavetables. This is where the General Midi sounds come from. A lot of the GenMix tiklpaks use custom built DLSs as a core sound source. If you load one of those voices into Partikl you can mess about with the patch assignments very easily in the DLS section.

The next option is the audio file wavetable engine (AUD tab). This let you take looped audio files in WAV or OGG format and treat them like an instrument in a sampler - layer them across a keyboard range, apply amplitude envelopes and other articulators. Basically, its a way of building a wavetable like voice from scratch without having to go through the hassle of making a separate DLS. This option has been underused in tiklpaks to date for various technical reasons, but the new Wavetable tone generator module in partikl makes this bit of the engine a *lot* more interesting.

The third, most complex bit of Partikl is the Synth engine itself. This is a modular synthesiser where you can build sounds from first principles using a range of different techniques. With the recent additions, subtractive, additive, FM, and sample based synthesis are all possible. There are also some modules dedicated to specific tasks like the Drum Synth (now expanded to also be an FM operator or additive synth building block!) and the, frankly odd, Particle generator.

Almost all the content of GenMix6 and 7 tiklpaks uses voicings contructed from the partikl synth so loading a voice from those paks will usually give you something to play with in the Synth view of partikl. There is a range of preset synth definitions included with mixtikl so you can load up those to replace the definitions used for existing content in the paks. Once you are in the Synth view, click on the open file icon and navigate to the FX folder to find those presets.

Partikl is a huge subject to discuss. I know its an intimidating interface and building sounds from scratch assumes a fair degree of knowledge about synthesis on the part of the end user. But there are a lot of options in there to get "under the hood" of Mixtikl and customise content to your own tastes without having to go that deep. It's well worth having a poke around in there.

oldlibmike
Platinum

Re: "I think I need more guidance on Partikl.."

Postby oldlibmike » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:28 pm

Thanks for the reply! I took a few hours in the tutorial and was able to do a bit in Partikl - powerful, but a bit intimidating. I do know a bit about other synths, oscs, envelopes, filters etc so that part isn't too bad.

The interface is a bit weird. I assume I have to go into it via an existing generative mix to get the button but once there I can create new partikle files with my own midi source (I don't have Noatikl - yet).

I'm not sure I can get anything really generative or random besides maybe adding some noise waves. Looks interesting but I really wish I could hook a midi in device to it to more quickly hear the sounds via a standard keyboard.

I will keep experimenting though!

Thanks again,
Mike

Umcorps
Platinum

Postby Umcorps » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:29 am

oldlibmike wrote: I assume I have to go into it via an existing generative mix to get the button but once there I can create new partikle files with my own midi source (I don't have Noatikl - yet).

Not exactly. You can load any midi based file into partikl via the file open icon on partikl's main menu screen. So if you have your own midi content that you want to revoice you can do that there.

Also, if there is any content file in any of the current paks you particularly like and want to use those sounds on your own midi content, you can swap the core midi content with your own via the Refresh icon.

But, yes, if you want to make your own generative content, then you do need Noatikl for that.

Looks interesting but I really wish I could hook a midi in device to it to more quickly hear the sounds via a standard keyboard.

I get round that by having a couple of standard test files that just play a slow major scale on a loop. Once I've got the basic sounds working there, it's then just a matter of swapping in my noatikl content using the refresh button. Which usually comes as a relief after the relentless monotony of A major. :lol:

Mark

[Edit - Here you go. Spread the suffering :D ]

A major.noatikl
(18.18 KiB) Downloaded 156 times

impete
Site Admin
antispam_b: 2

Postby impete » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:40 am

Thanks for that attachment, Mark! ;)

Return to “ISE / PSE”