impete
Site Admin
antispam_b: 2

Re: Mixtikl stuttering on ipt 4

Postby impete » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:14 am

Hi all

Arcana des - many thanks for that.

What we've learned:
- this doesn't happen on all devices (our own iPods/iPads/iPhones, for example)
- this isn't specific to jail-broken devices
- seems to affect only 4.x devices

I've finished looking-back through all the changes in Mixtikl 3, and am pretty certain this must be due to some (simple) changes we put-in to reduce latency.
These code changes only applied to 4.x devices.
We'd tested them on a wide range of devices, and hadn't seen any problems - but it seems that some devices don't like it.
I'd guess this might be firmware specific (maybe there are different audio chips on different iDevices?), but that is just speculation...

As to the question as to why this happens with Mixtikl, but not with other music apps? I'd guess that Mixtikl might chew more CPU that most music apps - the amount of real-time calculation we do is pretty mind-boggling (a combination of real-time composition, and real-time audio DSP/synthesis); we know from much experimentation on a lot of different platforms that for such software, it is necessary to do the calculations "just in time", which can require additional latency to be built-in to prevent audio break-up. I'd guess that the balance isn't quite right in this release, to cater for all iDevices (despite our extensive testing!)

So, thanks to your reports, for the next update (hopefully submitted in 2 weeks?), we'll wind-back those changes to somewhere between the levels between the two releases, and hopefully avoid the break-up but still have some of the latency improvements.

Best wishes to all, and many thanks for all your feedback,

Pete

arcana des
Gold
antispam_a: cole
antispam_b: 9

Postby arcana des » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:12 am

Artmuzz wrote:
imtim wrote:
Artmuzz wrote:UPDATE: I have tried audio settings at 16khz mono like you suggested and I think that has fixed the audio break up problem. I am a bit disappointed that I have to go down to 16 kHz ( which affects the sound quality) to fix the audio break up. I will keep you updated if I have any more problems.

UPDATE no2: The problem has returned after opening the problem track the original poster posted. I have the audio settings set to the lowest 16 kHz mono and the audio break up has returned. Have paid £2.99 for this and it is just unusable because of the problems I have encountered. it is a shame because this looked and sounded a really excellent app. :cry:

Art

ah, yes.. i also came to this conclusion and lowered the audio setting quality and it stopped the stuttering. but you're right that it's disappointing that we need to lower the quality of the sound to compensate for stuttering.

impete
Site Admin

Postby impete » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:09 am

Experience shows that from time-to-time, issues do pop-up that show-up only on hardware that we haven't got! :(
However, I think we've always been able to find solutions to such problems...

As noted, we already have plans which we hope will resolve this in the next update, which we hope to submit in a couple of weeks.

Thanks again to all who reported the problem!!

Best wishes,

Pete

impete
Site Admin

Postby impete » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:33 am

Hi Artmuzz and arcana des,

Mixtikl Free is the first available version of Mixtikl to contain what we hope is a fix the stuttering problem you experienced.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mixtikl- ... d436861817

Can you please let us know if it fixes your problem?

Best wishes,

Pete

Artmuzz
Bronze

Postby Artmuzz » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:02 pm

I downloaded the new update for Miktikl and Mixtikl free and I am sorry to report that it hasn't fixed the audio break up I was having with Mixtikl :cry:

I am really disappointed about this as it set me back £2.99

Thanks for your support anyway in trying to fix this.

impete
Site Admin

Postby impete » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:48 pm

Hi Artmuzz,

I'm really sorry to hear that you've still got the problem! :(
Do we know if arcana des still has the problem??

Best wishes,

Pete

Artmuzz
Bronze

Postby Artmuzz » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:53 am

I can confirm that the new updated Mixtikl now works great on my iPod Touch 4G (ios 5 not jailbroken). I am wondering if the reason for the audio breakup and stuttering was anything to do with my iPod Touch being Jailbroken as Mixtikl seems to be working fine on as my iPod Touch isn't Jailbroken anymore because I updated to ios 5. It also works great on my new iPad 2 :)

impete
Site Admin

Postby impete » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:01 pm

Hi Artmuzz,

Thanks for letting us know - I must admit it did sound like it was probably jail breaking that was the cause of the problem. :)

Mixtikl 5 is out quite soon - I really hope you like it !! - note that it is iOS 5+ only!

Best wishes,

Pete

Return to “Bug Reports”