[Resolved] Mixtikl stuttering on ipt 4

Tell us what doesn't work as it should
will green
Bronze

[Resolved] Mixtikl stuttering on ipt 4

Postby will green » Thu May 26, 2011 6:33 pm

Hi...

I'm getting audio breakup with Mixtikl on the ipod touch four jailbroken and running 4.3.3. I've tried reducing the audio output to 1600 hz mono but this doesn't help.

I'm getting this with only one track in use. This problem started with 2.6 and persists with the new version.

tx...

will

imtim
Site Admin
antispam_b: 2

Re: Mixtikl stuttering on ipt 4

Postby imtim » Fri May 27, 2011 9:03 am

Hi Will. That sounds very odd. I am just playing mixes just fine with Mixtikl 3.0 on an iPod 3rd gen, and at 22KHz stereo. It also used to work fine with Mixtikl 2.x (as it did on 2nd gen test device, too, but which I do not have access to again until the weekend). Mixtikl should work fine on all iOS versions, and devices.

I wonder if it is something to do with your device being Jailbroken? We do not use or test on Jailbroken devices.

Could you possibly export a mix that you are having problems with and then past it into a reply so that we can see if we can spot anything to do with the mix?

Thanks!

Artmuzz
Bronze
antispam_a: cole
antispam_b: 9

Postby Artmuzz » Fri May 27, 2011 3:23 pm

I am having this problem too but on iPad 1G. My iPad is Jailbroken.

imtim
Site Admin

Postby imtim » Fri May 27, 2011 3:38 pm

Interesting, as Mixtikl 2.x and Mixtikl 3 both work fine on our non-Jailbroken devices (which include iPad 1g). I wonder if it is something with the devices being Jailbroken that is causing the problem? Would still be helpful to have sight of a mix that is stuttering so that we can rule that out.

will green
Bronze

Postby will green » Sat May 28, 2011 12:35 am

Thanks Tim...

Mixtikl works well on my jailbroken iphone 4 running 4.2.2.

Here's some on things I've tried:

Restored the ipt4 to ios 4.3.3 and ran app; still stutters
Rebooted before starting app, no effect
Re-jailbroke ipt4 use app without winterboard; still stutters
Check for ram available as I thought that may be a cause, but I have between 95-125 meg of ram to use for app

I'm wondering if it's a problem with 4.3.3 and the ipt4?

Here's a mix:

http://mixtikl.com/?mtk3UEsDBBQAAAAIAAA ... AA1AQAAAAA

will

Artmuzz
Bronze

Postby Artmuzz » Sat May 28, 2011 9:57 am

No it's not just a problem with iOS 4.3.3 because I have that problem with iOS 4.3.1

I thought I had fixed the problem last night by going into the settings and deselecting samples as stream but the problem has returned again this morning.

Art

imtim
Site Admin

Postby imtim » Mon May 30, 2011 4:11 pm

Hi Artmuzz

I am playing the mix Will posted (above) just fine on an iPad Gen 1 running 4.3.3.

Can you play that one fine, or not? Is it only some mixes that break up, or all mixes? Do the demo mixes play OK, or not?

In general, breakup should only occur if your are overloading the processor, which, for Gen3+ ip/ipt means some reasonably busy mixes.

Are you using audio loops btw, or generative parts?

tim

Artmuzz
Bronze

Postby Artmuzz » Tue May 31, 2011 9:55 pm

Hi Tim,
I used the mix that was posted by the OP and I am getting audio break up too like the OP. It is most of the demos on Mixtikl that break up. I haven't tried using my own samples yet. I will try my own samples and report back.

imtim
Site Admin

Postby imtim » Tue May 31, 2011 10:11 pm

Artmuzz wrote:Hi Tim,
I used the mix that was posted by the OP and I am getting audio break up too like the OP. It is most of the demos on Mixtikl that break up. I haven't tried using my own samples yet. I will try my own samples and report back.

Hi Artmuzz,
By OP do you mean "Other Person"?
I still cannot understand why you are getting break up on the above mix, and the demo mixes, on an iPad Gen 1 as they should play fine. The only factor that seems to stand out is that you say your device is jailbroken... NB: Just thought, but what is your Audio output setting (Menu > Settings > Audio output). It should be set to 22KHz stereo as default. Could you try it at say 16 Khz stereo to see if you still have breakup? Are you able to make mixdown recordings that sound OK? I have expanded our FAQ entry on this, so please see: http://www.intermorphic.com/tools/mixti ... erformance

NB: We also found in the past that it was possible to get breakup sometimes when the iDevice screenlock is on / the screen is black. Are you getting breakup right from the start of a mix playback, or just if/when the iPad goes into screen lock/timeout? If so, could you try: Settings --> General --> Auto-lock -->Never

hth!

impete
Site Admin

Postby impete » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:23 am

Hi Artmuzz,

Just to note that we do want to help you get to the bottom of things, but we're a little stumped!

Best wishes,

Pete

Artmuzz
Bronze

Postby Artmuzz » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:44 am

imtim wrote:
Artmuzz wrote:Hi Tim,

Hi Artmuzz,
By OP do you mean "Other Person"?
I still cannot understand why you are getting break up on the above mix, and the demo mixes, on an iPad Gen 1 as they should play fine. The only factor that seems to stand out is that you say your device is jailbroken... NB: Just thought, but what is your Audio output setting (Menu > Settings > Audio output). It should be set to 22KHz stereo as default. Could you try it at say 16 Khz stereo to see if you still have breakup? Are you able to make mixdown recordings that sound OK? I have expanded our FAQ entry on this, so please see: http://www.intermorphic.com/tools/mixti ... erformance

NB: We also found in the past that it was possible to get breakup sometimes when the iDevice screenlock is on /
the screen is black. Are you getting breakup right from the start of a mix playback, or just if/when the iPad goes into screen lock/timeout? If so, could you try: Settings --> General --> Auto-lock -->Never

OP means Original Poster (will green). I am getting the same audio breakup as will is getting on the file he posted to this post.

I have tried the audio output settings and still get the audio breakup problem no matter what settings I use 22khz 44khz etc. My iPad screenlock isn't on when this happens.

I am also getting this problem with my iPod Touch 4G (jailbroken) as well as my iPad 1G (jailbroken). Strange thing is that I don't have any problems with any other music apps on my iDevices having the audio break up issue. It seems to be just Mixtikl that I am having audio breakup problems with. All my other apps ( NanoStudio, Aurora HD etc.) work perfectly well.

UPDATE: I have tried audio settings at 16khz mono like you suggested and I think that has fixed the audio break up problem. I am a bit disappointed that I have to go down to 16 kHz ( which affects the sound quality) to fix the audio break up. I will keep you updated if I have any more problems.

UPDATE no2: The problem has returned after opening the problem track the original poster posted. I have the audio settings set to the lowest 16 kHz mono and the audio break up has returned. Have paid £2.99 for this and it is just unusable because of the problems I have encountered. it is a shame because this looked and sounded a really excellent app. :cry:

Art

impete
Site Admin

Postby impete » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:33 pm

Hi Art,

As you can imagine, the suggestion to drop to 16kHz was just a temporary experiment while we try to figure-out what might be going on!
You might as well change back again to 22khz stereo.

The fact that the audio breaks-up, even at a low audio sample rate, points either to something else running on your system that is grabbing CPU cycles, or maybe there is something plain weird going on with the audio driver on your device.

Just trying to think what might cause this sort of thing:
- does this happen with/without your device plugged-in to your computer?
- do you have Wi-Fi enabled on your device?
- do you have Bluetooth enabled on your device?
- are you using a wired headphones, bluetooth headphones, or playing without headphones?

The elephant in the room, is that you're using a jailbroken device. We don't have any of those, and I really don't know what effect that might have (if any) on system behaviour. I'd guess that such a device would work pretty close to a normal iOS device... however, I did a quick web search on this subject, which did find a lot of posts around the area... is it easy to undo the jailbreak as a quick test?

Pete

Artmuzz
Bronze

Postby Artmuzz » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:24 pm

impete wrote:Hi Art,

Just trying to think what might cause this sort of thing:
- does this happen with/without your device plugged-in to your computer?
- do you have Wi-Fi enabled on your device?
- do you have Bluetooth enabled on your device?
- are you using a wired headphones, bluetooth headphones, or playing without headphones?

Pete

Hi Pete,

My iPad isn't connected to my computer when I'm using Mixtikl. I tried disconnecting Wi-Fi but the problem continues. I don't have BlueTooth enabled. I am just using the iPad's built in speaker so playing without any headphones.

Art

impete
Site Admin

Postby impete » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:38 pm

Hi Art,

OK, thanks for clarifying that. Is it an easy process to temporarily undo the jail-break to see if it then works, or that hard/difficult/impossible ...?
I have to ask, as I've never tried it!

Best wishes,

Pete

arcana des
Gold

Postby arcana des » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:23 am

Hi. I'm running mixtikl 3 on ipod touch 3rd gen ios 4.3.3 **Not Jailbroken** and it's stuttering. The previous mixtikl version did not have this problem for me. I'm a little frustrated with Mix 3. While I like the new features, I was hoping the update would fix some bugs. Maybe 3 has, but the stuttering now makes this app useless to me. I hope there's a solution soon.

Return to “Bug Reports”