[Fixed] Crashes on iPad 3 in v5.1.0.6

Tell us what doesn't work as it should
DrApostropeX
antispam_a: cole
antispam_b: 9

[Fixed] Crashes on iPad 3 in v5.1.0.6

Postby DrApostropeX » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:24 am

Hi there! I'm a brand new user of Mixtikl (having only downloaded the app this week, but have been following the development of the product for years now on KVR) and I have to say I'm blown away by the product. It's amazingly deep.

However, I am noticing quite a few crashes with the new version (5.1.0.6 -- great graphics update, by the way!) that I didn't notice with the previous version. These crashes (on my iPad 3) seem to occur most frequently whenever I go to create a New project, open an existing project, or when I'm attempting to load content into a cell. These crashes occur when no other app is running in the background and it seems that once it crashes once, the crashes only become more frequent after that.

Otherwise it's a great product and the update is very impressive!

imtim
Site Admin
antispam_b: 2

Re: Crashes on iPad 3 in v5.1.0.6

Postby imtim » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:35 am

Hi DrApostropeX

Thanks for the kind words and thanks for reporting this. We work hard to make Mixtikl stable, and as you note, it is pretty deep! :). This is not something we have noticed so we want to get to the bottom of it ASAP.

Could you please see if you can find any crash logs and then submit them via our contact form? That would be a big help if you could!

Details on how to find crash logs:
http://www.intermorphic.com/tools/mixti ... l#crashLog

Thanks again

tim

impete
Site Admin

Postby impete » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:12 am

Hi DrApostropeX!

As Tim says, we'd be very keen to get to the bottom of whatever is behind your crashes. If there is a consistent pattern we could follow to repeat the crash, that'd be great - and the crash logs are very very useful!

Best wishes,

Pete

DrApostropeX

Postby DrApostropeX » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:42 am

You got it! Thanks for posting the process to report these. I'll see if any are available now and post them (and if not, I'll use it for a bit more and see if anything pops up).

I can see myself spending a lot of time with this and using it quite a bit in my own music. Also, our two sons LOVE the program and would play it for hours on the visualization screen if I let them (watching a five-year-old groove out to the Funk demo in the add-on loop pack is just too awesome!).

impete
Site Admin

Postby impete » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:57 am

watching a five-year-old groove out to the Funk demo in the add-on loop pack is just too awesome!

:D

Glad to hear you're having fun with Mixtikl - looking forward to any feedback you can give in terms of tracking-down your crashes!

Best wishes,

Pete

impete
Site Admin

Postby impete » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:04 pm

Hi again,

Just to say many thanks for the crash logs, they show me exactly where the code crashes. I now just need to figure out how to fix it :) before we can validate and submit an update.

Best wishes,

Pete

impete
Site Admin

Postby impete » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:43 pm

Hi again!

The pattern of the crash indicates to me that it is probably due to a bug in the audio device driver - for what it is worth, I can't reproduce it.
I *think* that sometimes the audio device can wrongly request a bit of audio from the app even though it has theoretically stopped playing!

So what I've done, is put-in some code to detect this (if it should happen), and to simply ignore the request in that situation; that will prevent any invalid memory access and stop the crash occurring.

At least, that is the theory. :)

Best wishes,

Pete

ttaylor
Bronze

Postby ttaylor » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:32 am

Hi.
I'm experiencing the same thing here (iPad 3). Sometimes it'll crash on stop, others on open. There were at least 6 today during an hour session. Will the fix be as an update in the App Store?
Other than that, though, it looks great on the iPad-even in landscape!
Thanks again for all of your work.
Best,
t

impete
Site Admin

Postby impete » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:59 am

Hi t!

I'm very sorry to hear about the crashes. I still need to reproduce the crash on my test iPad 3 - as then I'll be able to prove that my candidate fix really works (otherwise, I wouldn't be certain...)

I should hope that we'll be in a position to submit an update next week - and then wait, as it usually takes 2 weeks for updates to get approved!

Best wishes,

Pete

impete
Site Admin

Postby impete » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:33 am

OK, good news!

I've been able to figure-out how to reproduce this on the iPad 3 under the debugger, and have been able to implement a solid fix.

What caused the problem? Well, it seems to be down to a difference in behaviour for the Audio APIs on iPad 3. My best guess is that because the devices are now faster, they're showing a small but important difference in their run-time behaviour that could provoke a crash with Mixtikl, and the important thing is that we've now fixed it.

We'll look to submit an update very soon, once we've done some more testing on more devices!

Best wishes,

Pete

impete
Site Admin

Postby impete » Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:25 pm

Good news - we've submitted a fix for this (and a few other issues we've found in the past few days).
Hopefully this will become available in a week or two!

Best wishes,

Pete

Return to “Bug Reports”