Tell us what doesn't work as it should
mugwood
Bronze
antispam_a: cole
antispam_b: 9

Resolved: Audio glitches, high cpu etc in XP v5.1.4.1

Postby mugwood » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:40 pm

Hi Guys,

Firstly - thank you for fixing the crash on startup! No problems with that any more!

Unfortunately, the sound quality seems to have taken a bit of a nose-dive with this update - drop-outs, pauses and digital glitches (like bit reduction distortion)

It's a little better if I run it in a DAW and max out the buffer size, but not much - certainly never had to do this before, even when just running 3 active cells, it's running about 60-70% CPU on one core. The clock update is a little irregular, pausing for almost 2 seconds then counting up those 2 seconds in rapid succession.

I'm running XP SP3, I have an ASIO interface but Desktop Mixtikl is only showing Wave Out (can't recall if this is how it always was).

Thanks and sorry :oops:

Antony

impete
Site Admin
antispam_b: 2

Re: Audio glitches, high cpu, slow screen refresh in XP v5.1

Postby impete » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:52 am

Hi!

In the latest update, we bumped-up the audio output rate from 22kHz to 44kHz (viewtopic.php?f=49&t=1558)
... which should have given you a much improved audio quality! :)

I'm *really* puzzled about what you're experiencing; which, as you say, also happens if you're running from a DAW.
Can you please let me know what DAW you're using?
I presume that when using other synths, you haven't experienced a reduction in audio quality?
You mentioned that you have an ASIO interface; but that Mixtikl doesn't see it - has Mixtikl *ever* seen it, and do your other audio apps see it; specifically, does your DAW see it...?

Best wishes,

Pete

mugwood
Bronze

Postby mugwood » Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:04 pm

Hi Pete,

Thanks for the super-fast reply!

To answer your questions:

I'm using Audiomulch and FLStudio DAWs. To get the best performance out of the MixTikl VST I switch from ASIO (which has a max latency of 20s) to Windows Audio at 4096samples/85ms.

I normally configure my ASIO audio at 48KHz with 10ms to 20ms latency depending on workload, but I rarely run out of horses unless it's a huge project with lots of VSTs. All of my audio apps (incl. Bidule, Goldwave) see this device (KRK Ergo), I also have a Plantronics headset and Logitech webcam that appear as selectable audio devices in these apps.

Browser audio (Chrome, Firefox, IE) from Soundcloud and similar, also Spotify: no problems with my normal config.

With regard to whether Mixtikl has ever seen the ASIO device - I honestly can't recall. I have installers for versions 3,4 and 5 in my archive - if you would like me to uninstall and try one, let me know.

As I say, it will run OK in the DAW, shame I can't resize the screen - but it works well enough to ignore the odd glitch. If it's just me experiencing these problems, I'll just have to wait until I buy a new Win7 PC later this year.

Thanks as always, really appreciate you guys making such an effort to look into stuff!

Antony

impete
Site Admin

Postby impete » Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:48 pm

Hi Antony,

Many thanks for the background. I guess it is a good example of there being *so many* variables in the systems that our customers use, that it is nearly impossible to make software that works 'right' on every system.

This is one of the motives behind our continuing to offer both VSTi/AU and standalone versions of both Mixtikl and Noatikl; that helps us to offer enough flexibility for every user ... I hope. :)

Best wishes,

Pete

sargantana
Silver

Postby sargantana » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:15 pm

Hi all,

Sorry to bear bad tidings but I just downloaded v5.1.4.1 and after a few minutes running an old three track tune of mine (all
basic, simple, Partikl sounds) experienced the same issues as above regarding audio stuttering straight from the desktop version.
Loading the latest VST version into my trusty old DAW (Ableton v.6) produced even worse results with the sound staggering all over the place. All the tweaking in the world of the latency settings and changing from Windows sound to ASIO produced some significant improvements to the output, however, the device still sounded worse than when running it as desk top.

I'm running on the wonderful Windows Vista SP1 by the way.

Re-installed 5.0.1.1 and glitches are no more!

Hope you can fix this Pete?!!!

One thing that did improve for me though was full screen no longer being corrupted! :)

impete
Site Admin

Postby impete » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:35 pm

Hi Antony!

That really sounds to me like you have a performance problem of some sort.

It really sounds as though your the system isn't running with enough buffers to allow the audio to deliver smoothly.

That is *very* puzzling, as the system is runs on mobile devices; so why would that be happening on a PC?!

I'd guess that pretty much the only thing that might cause system performance to get borked, would be peripherals/device drivers.

So, I'd suggest unplugging all non-essential (!) devices (including your webcam), re-booting and trying again with Noatikl.
Are your headphones wired or wireless? If the former, try some wired headphones as a test as well.

BTW, have I read this thread right; have you changed from Windows XP to Windows Vista...?

Best wishes,

Pete

sargantana
Silver

Postby sargantana » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:12 pm

Hi Pete,

I'm afraid that you read the thread wrong - I'm a different Mixtikl user! :)

I tried running v5.1.4.1 stand-alone with absolutely everything that might interfere unplugged, no connection to internet etc. and after about four minutes running the stuttering kicked in.

As a further test I re-installed Mixtikl v5.0.1.1 (32 bit) and left it running the same piece for several hours today and there were no glitches, so this seems to suggest that the issue lies with the program rather than the computer.

Cheers

Carlos

impete
Site Admin

Postby impete » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:09 am

Hi Carlos,

Ah, sorry about that - as you can see, I was confused by having two different customers in the same thread. :)

Can you please clarify a couple of things for me...?
- is your Windows Vista SP1 a 32-bit or 64-bit version?
- what is the spec of your Windows Vista SP1 machine... (processor/RAM)?
- do you see this with *both* the VST *and* the standalone version of Mixtikl?
- which VST hosts have you tried...?
- do you know if the 32-bit and 64-bit versions behave differently, or the same... (this depends on your version of Vista!)
- do you see this with Noatikl as well...?
- when running the software, are there any device drivers that work better than others?
- do you happen to have any older Windows machines (maybe with a lower spec) on which you could try the software, to see if you get the same symptoms?

Best wishes,

Pete

sargantana
Silver

Postby sargantana » Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:35 pm

Hi Pete - please accept my apologies if I caused confusion by hi-jacking the thread!

- I am running Vista SP1 32-bit.
- Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU T2390 @1.86 GHz
- Memory (RAM) 2.00 GB
- Using ASIO the old version of Mixtikl VST works fine on my DAW - Ableton v.6
- Noatikl v1.5.0.23 behaves itself well when run on Ableton v6.
- ASIO seems to be the better choice when using via Ableton.
- Alas, I don't have access to any older machine on which to try the software out Pete.

I hope this helps?

Off on holiday for five days tomorrow - not sure if I'll have access to internet... :?

Cheers

Carlos

impete
Site Admin

Postby impete » Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:32 pm

Hi Carlos,

I hope you have a good holiday. :)

A few more questions to double-check on, if I may...:

>>>
- do you see this with *both* the VST *and* the standalone version of Mixtikl?
- do you see this with *Noatikl 2* ...?
- I'd also be keen to hear if you get the same problem with Reaper; which is a free download VST host...
<<<

The only change between the two Mixtikl versions, that I can think might cause your problem, are that Mixtikl now runs by default at 44kHz rather than 22kHz. But really, with your running on a powerful machine, I really can't think how that would cause your problem.

Noatikl 2 also runs at 44kHz by default; and Noatikl 1.x didn't have a built-in audio engine at all (it was plain MIDI); hence the interest in comparing Noatikl to Mixtikl, as they both share the same audio/synthesis engines.

The interest in Mixtikl VST vs. Mixtikl Standalone, is that they'll both be routed through different audio device drivers on your machine; so if Standalone works OK, they I'd guess that would point to some sort of ASIO configuration issue. If they both behave badly, then it is some other issue...

That said, the issue *does* seem to be specific to your system (we haven't heard reports - yet! - from other customers). So my best guess, is that it is a matter of figuring out what configuration setting to change to get it working OK for you!

Best wishes,

Pete

sargantana
Silver

Postby sargantana » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:54 pm

Hi Pete,

Back from darkest Norfolk...

I've only had the chance to try out the new Mixtikl on Ableton so far but I thought I better let you know that it's performance was considerably worse than the stand-alone. In fact the stuttering problem started immediately the music came in, rendering the output quite unlistenable. I have tried setting the ASIO controls to see if this would help but I'm afraid to say this didn't really improve things.

Cheers

Carlos

impete
Site Admin

Postby impete » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:38 pm

Hi Carlos,

Many thanks for the update. I have another idea!

Can you please try this for me:
- load-up the Mixtikl UI
- select the menu screen
- press the Settings button
- check - is the sample-rate set to 44kHz or 22kHz?
- if set to 44kHz, please set to 22kHz - does this improve things for you?
- keep trying to reduce this setting until the audio break-up disappears - can you please tell me what that level is?

Also found these two articles, which are quite interesting background on optimising latency and reducing break-up.
They might both help - please let me know if so!!

http://www.tweakheadz.com/troubleshooti ... _cards.htm

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jan05/a ... sician.htm

Best wishes,

Pete

sargantana
Silver

Postby sargantana » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:57 pm

Hi Pete,

Sorry for the ridiculously long time it's taken for me to reply to your last post. I'm afraid to say that some rather serious issues cropped up which naturally took precedence, and to be honest I completely forgot all about music for a while.

Of course by now I expect that you've solved the problem I was encountering whilst running Mixtikl through Abelton Live, but regardless I will say that having tried setting the audio output down to it's lowest setting, I'm pleased to tell you that Mixtikl is behaving itself perfectly. No glitches.
Where as previously the CPU was intermittently going off the scale, now the CPU is hovering just under 30% and so far tonight has not caused any problems whatsoever :D

Cheers (and sorry again for the delay!)

Carlos

impete
Site Admin

Re: Resolved: Audio glitches, high cpu etc in XP v5.1.4.1

Postby impete » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:56 pm

Hi Carlos,

Many thanks for the update - hope all is well with you! :)

Best wishes,

Pete

Return to “Bug Reports”