file structure with upgrade to 6?

Tell us what doesn't work as it should
dj_papico
Bronze
antispam_a: cole
antispam_b: 9

file structure with upgrade to 6?

Postby dj_papico » Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:31 am

I just downloaded mixtikl 6 for desktop/standalone, upgraded from 5. I am running windows 8 64 bit

I use this product several times a week, love it by the way.

However, having a real problem transferring previous recordings to your new file structure and user content and getting new version to find it.

Tried putting recordings, samples, and paks folders into users/~/music/intermorphic
so my file structure now looks like users/~/music/intermorphic/paks for example.

Mixtikl doesn't show and/or find the files.

this from your instructions online... Files, mix, mic and MIDI recordings (as applicable) are all now (by default) saved to and opened from the following (where the tilde [~] in the pathname is a shortcut for your user account name):

~/Music/Intermorphic/ (Mac)
~/Music/Intermorphic/ (Windows)
We made this change to make it *much* easier to use / share files and content between Noatikl (mobile/desktop) and Mixtikl (mobile/desktop). If you are moving from an earlier version of Mixtikl or Noatikl then find your content as below, and simply move it to the above folder(s).

To use your own content (e.g. Paks, Tiklpaks, SF2, loops, samples etc) simply copy it to the above folder and the relevant app will find it.

Help please asap. I was ready to make some music tonight and am now hung after downloading new upgrade.

dj_papico
pennmartinii@gmail.com

dj_papico
Bronze

Re: file structure with upgrade to 6?

Postby dj_papico » Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:33 am

also, your options: show the user content folder while a great idea, does nothing yet. It doesn't open a folder through windows explorer in Windows 8

thanks,

dj_papico

impete
Site Admin
antispam_b: 2

Postby impete » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:25 am

Hi!

Very sorry to hear of your problem, and I can confirm that the menu item also isn't working for me on Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit - so, we'll try and fix that quickly.

If you happen to have Noatikl, you can show this same folder from Noatikl by:
Tools -> Show Folders -> Noatikl data folder

The folder on my machine is here:
C:\Users\MyNameIsThis\Music\Intermorphic

If you save a mix from Mixtikl, that .mixtikl file will appear in the folder you're looking for.

I hope that gets you working again - do please let us know ASAP if not!

It looks like our instructions might not be clear enough, so we'll have a think about that!

Best wishes,

Pete

imtim
Site Admin

Postby imtim » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:58 am

Hi,

Just one other thing to clarify, *all content*, including paks, are now dropped into that Users/accountName/Music/Intermorphic folder.

We now use one flat folder to make it much easier to use mixes on multiple devices if you want.

So, just put your paks in the above folder, e.g. for the free Audio Loop Collections 1-3 zip (http://www.intermorphic.com/tiklpak/download/):

Users/accountName/Music/Intermorphic/IMTPALLoopEssentials1.zip

Hope that helps...

NB: Glad you enjoy Mixtikl!

atb

tim

dj_papico
Bronze

Postby dj_papico » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:04 pm

Thanks Tim,

So does that mean that the hundreds of paks I've built and/or downloaded and the previously recorded mixes from verstion 5 go directly into music/intermorphic without any subfolders? There is no separate user content folder?

If so, that is a bit awkward. I had all my user content divided into different instruments, a separate folder for brass, vox etc.

Thanks

dj_papico

dj_papico
Bronze

Postby dj_papico » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:09 pm

p.s. I did a system restore back to previously installed version of Mixtikl 5 so i could continue working while we get this sorted.

Thanks again for your help.

dj_papico

imtim
Site Admin

Postby imtim » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:47 pm

Hi Again,

OK, firstly, the Mixtikl Desktop update is now there and can be downloaded. viewtopic.php?f=49&t=1995

Wrt where you can put zipped paks (zip files). If you want, these will still get picked up one desktop if placed in:

Windows
%HOMEPATH%\Music\Intermorphic\intermorphic\mixtikl\paks\

Mac
~/Music/Intermorphic/intermorphic/mixtikl/paks/

It means that if you want you *could* on desktop keep your paks in a separate place from your mix files and other content, but the zips cannot go in further subdirectories under that.

Hoping that helps a bit...

atb

tim

impete
Site Admin

Postby impete » Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:24 am

Hi!

Many thanks for your feedback - we didn't realise that we had customers with such a large number of paks, so I can certainly see why you'd like to be able to organize your paks into sub-folders.

As a result of this, I've modified our apps to look for zip files to mount in this folder and all sub-folders:
<Music>/Intermorphic/zips

We're testing this change internally. I'd hope we'd be able to release this updated software very soon - please keep a close eye on our website for updates!

Best wishes,

Pete

dj_papico
Bronze

Postby dj_papico » Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:41 am

Thanks guys for listening to my suggestions and really appreciate your work on the program.

dj_papico

imtim
Site Admin

Postby imtim » Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:09 pm

impete wrote:As a result of this, I've modified our apps to look for zip files to mount in this folder and all sub-folders:
<Music>/Intermorphic/zips

Both Mixtikl and Noatikl will adopt this approach, too (once rolled out).

1 Correctly formatted Tiklpaks/Paks
You will be able to drop correctly formatted/packaged pak zip files in that zips folder, or even subfolders under that, if that helps your organistation. Tiklpaks have a predefined paths structure, so if you can use them, they are probably the best way to go (and they allow you to include tempo and root info etc. as well).

2 Other content - e.g. SF2, WAV files / loops (not in a pak) etc. - *path is important*
You will also be able to put other zipped content in the zips folder or subfolders, but first decide a strategy on the path structure to be used/included in your zips. Content used in a mix from within one of these zip files will always expect to be found in the place specified. If you create a new, replacement, zip, with a different path to your content, that content will not be found in the mix.

Example: Say you want to zip up some SF2 files for use in the Partikl Wavetable unit.

If you have a path to brass1.sf2 such as e.g.:
myname/synthmake1/instruments/brass1.sf2

You could create zips of this with paths:
brass1.sf2 (no paths) [e.g. brass1.zip]
instrument1/brass1.sf2 [e.g. instrument1.zip]
synthmake1/instrument1/brass1.sf2 [e.g. synthmake1.zip]
myname/synthmake1/instrument1/brass1.sf2 [e.g. myname.zip]

Note that the path to the content in each of these zip files is *different*, so you need to choose your paths carefully.

Another consideration is how your content is listed when navigating to it, as the path included in the zip file is also shown in Mixtikl/Noatikl. For example, the Partikl Wavetable unit will show the brass1.sf2 from brass1.zip as "brass1.sf2"; whereas from myname.zip it will show it as myname/synthmake1/instrument1/brass1.sf2. You may want to group things (to make it easier to find things in lists) rather than just have them all at the top level, so going a higher level "myname" or "synthmake" might be appropriate.

NB: Certainly if you want to share your *own* content in zips with other people to create mixes with, then you will want to ensure that it has a unique path/name.

So, say your mix uses brass1.sf2 (and this applies to wav files as well) from brass1.zip. If you later decided to reorganise your content and recreate the zip files so that you are instead using myname.zip, then that sf2 will not be found by the software.

The moral is, take the time to think through carefully the paths you want to use in your zips!

Return to “Bug Reports”