Share Mixtikl URLs to mixes you have made
C.V.Gates
Bronze
antispam_a: cole
antispam_b: 9

Slapntikl

Postby C.V.Gates » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:27 am

Hi all,

I purchased Mixtikl the other day for my iPad and then spent most of the weekend concentrating on it instead of housecleaning, etc. I'm interested in discovering what sorts of noises this app can make, and to that end I've been reasonably successful. I give you a simple, clumsy and abrasive offering, Slapntikl. Mind your speakers/ears.

imtim
Site Admin
antispam_b: 2

Re: Slapntikl

Postby imtim » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:14 pm

Now that is very clever :). For the benefit of others, would you mind detailing how you went about creating that "glitch" sound, i.e. a rough overview on how it works?

I tried messing with the pattern mutation which was fun....

Would you mind if we tweeted it? It is something that I think could be of interest to others.

Looking forward to hearing further experiments of yours!

tim

C.V.Gates
Bronze

Postby C.V.Gates » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:49 am

Thank you! I'll detail to the best of my ability - I may get some terms wrong, and may not understand very well how everything in the mix is working.

I set up 3 voices in Noatikl's follower parameter, each triggering a discrete synth/fx network in Partikl. Each synth is a variation of the same: one or two saw, triangle, or square-wave tone oscillators (ring modulated, if two), low-pass filtered with generous Q, amplified, over-compressed, then notch-equalized at high-midrange. The ring + Q + amp + comp + eq seems good for making a brittle, hollow, buzz/bite sound. I then spent a fair amount of time tweaking each oscillator envelope. I wanted staccato sounds that were quite short, but retained enough character to be more than just clicks, so for the most part the envelope was set in small increments of only decay and sustain, no slow attack increments (also note how much turning the oscillator sync switch on or off affects the envelope).

After the tweaking in Partikl, it was back over to Noatikl to further shape the sounds via the pitch and articulation parameters. I had much fun varying these two sets of parameters - it's cool how much they can change the mix.

I should have mentioned above that the primary voice (and one of the followers) is "governed" by a pattern that looks something like this: <100 B 15 1 15 1 15 1 7 1 7 1 7 1 7 1>, but longer. These 1/16 (that is, 15) and "1/32" (that is, 7) notes also helped in creating the "glitch." Also, I wanted to push the app's "db/cpu usage ceiling" (what is this called, anyway?) to further the glitch. I use the app on my first generation iPad, and the sound was breaking up real nice!

Hope this all makes some sense, and by all means tweet the mix. Feel free to modify it beforehand, if you desire. About half an hour after I initially posted the mix, I fiddled with the pattern mutation (like you!) and the follower parameters, and the mix became more interesting to me.

Thanks for the wonderful app. I had no idea Mixtikl could do what it does. I've been hoping for a computer music-type app to come along, and here it has been! Looking forward to doing more with it. I'm especially curious about experimenting with gradual timbre and pitch changes, if there's a way to do such stuff.

Thanks also to umcorps for his informative tutorials!

Umcorps
Platinum

Postby Umcorps » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:15 am

Good job!!! 8)

C.V.Gates wrote:I had no idea Mixtikl could do what it does. I've been hoping for a computer music-type app to come along, and here it has been! Looking forward to doing more with it. I'm especially curious about experimenting with gradual timbre and pitch changes, if there's a way to do such stuff.

How gradual?

In Partikl alone you're limited by the lowest LFO cycle period which is 0.001Hz - not really slow enough for people like me who like their LFOs calibrated in hours.

But if that's slow enough for your needs then a bunch of LFOs modulating the frequency, slope, updown and square parameters of a TG set to use the STS wave will give you a lot of scope for playing with pitch and timbre over time, especially when you set them to beat against each other.

If you want to play with pitch over a longer period of time than the LFO allows, one option is to use the pitch microcontroller in Noatikl instead. It's not the most obvious tool in the Noatikl kitbag but in essence it allows you to send pitchbend messages over time. The TGs in partikl will respond to midi pitchbend messages so you can use the parameters in this view to produce quite subtle pitch drifts. It's not as deterministic as using an LFO but that's not necessarily a bad thing. :lol:

The other synth parameters don't have midi handles on them so you can only play with pitch using this option. For timbre the STS wave and LFOs are the main way to go, particularly for sustained sounds.

If you only need shorter note durations, modulating the FM parameters on the DSynth will yield all sorts of sonic terror.

Thanks also to umcorps for his informative tutorials!

Cheers!. I'm just glad they've tempted people to start digging into partikl a bit deeper. There's a lot of fun to be had in there under the hood.

C.V.Gates
Bronze

Postby C.V.Gates » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:38 pm

Thanks for the input, Umcorps. You've given me plenty of fodder for experimentation. I started playing around with the controllers and can see their possibilities. And while I'll do some experiments with LFOs, the use of the controllers/micro controllers in Noatikl has more appeal to me precisely because their results could be indeterminant.

It occurred to me that one could use Noatikl to control tone generator pulse width modulation, but if I understand by your post, this isn't possible? Is this something one could implement on the Noatikl desktop version, then port to the iPad app as a Noatikl Pak?

Note that for creating sounds I've stuck to experimenting with the tone generator, because it's familiar. I will soon branch out to the DSynth as you suggest!

Thanks again to all!

Umcorps
Platinum

Postby Umcorps » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:58 pm

C.V.Gates wrote:It occurred to me that one could use Noatikl to control tone generator pulse width modulation, but if I understand by your post, this isn't possible? Is this something one could implement on the Noatikl desktop version, then port to the iPad app as a Noatikl Pak?

No, not as things stand. Partikl only recognises the most common midi CCs, NRPNs aren't defined and there isn't a way to assign spare midi CCs to partikl synth parameters. The midi implementation chart is here if you want the full details.

Using Noatikl for mix automation (like modulating pulse width and more) is a very powerful and interesting technique but the only direct way to do it is when the target synth has assignable parameters that you can associate to midi CCs. Sadly, Partikl isn't in that category :(

So, other than the pitch micro controller, beat synced LFOs and control envelopes are the principle ways of getting Partikl to do things that relate to whatever is going on in the Noatikl file they are playing.

C.V.Gates
Bronze

Postby C.V.Gates » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:30 pm

Thanks again for the concise explanation, and for pointing me to the MIDI implementation chart. It will come in handy. I'm embarrassed to say it did not occur to me to read the Partikl manual. I will now do so. Cheers, all!

imtim
Site Admin

Postby imtim » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:01 am

Btw, many, many thanks from us to Umcorps for the fantastic videos, and for the many helpful forum postings!

impete
Site Admin

Postby impete » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:51 am

I've been planning on adding a new control-rate unit, which would be a simple MIDI CC -> Control listener/converter.

Basically, it'll be used to "listen-out" for a specific MIDI CC configured through the UI (typically: generated by Noatikl!), and through an offset and scale-factor, convert that to an output control signal.

Does that make sense - would you find it useful?

Best wishes,

Pete

Umcorps
Platinum

Postby Umcorps » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:01 am

impete wrote:Basically, it'll be used to "listen-out" for a specific MIDI CC configured through the UI (typically: generated by Noatikl!), and through an offset and scale-factor, convert that to an output control signal.

Boom! :shock:

would you find it useful?

That would be the equivalent of putting a generative sequencer directly inside Partikl.

I'm sure I'd really struggle to think of uses for that. :lol:

impete
Site Admin

Postby impete » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:59 am

:)

C.V.Gates
Bronze

Postby C.V.Gates » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:10 pm

Sounds very useful, indeed! Thanks. :D That being said, I know I've barely tapped into the current version of Mixtikl. Each time I pick up my iPad I say "today I'm going to learn how to do X in Mixtikl." Soon enough I find myself fascinated by a sound or random pattern I've hit upon, and learning how to do X goes out the window. Great, great app.

Umcorps
Platinum

Postby Umcorps » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:33 pm

C.V.Gates wrote: Soon enough I find myself fascinated by a sound or random pattern I've hit upon, and learning how to do X goes out the window.

Tragically, this sentence summarises completely my life in the studio.

imtim
Site Admin

Postby imtim » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:59 pm

Yes, I have found that, too :). Glad you are enjoying. There is lots more fun to come....

tim

Return to “Shared mixes”