Any plans for a desktop or android version?

Generative Creativity System
spidergod
Platinum

Any plans for a desktop or android version?

Postby spidergod » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:49 am

Hello

Wondering if there are any plans for a desktop and/or android version of Wotja?

thanks

imtim
Site Admin
antispam_b: 2

Re: Any plans for a desktop or android version?

Postby imtim » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:01 am

Hi spidergod

Interesting questions :). Is there anything in particular you are looking for?

atb

tim

spidergod
Platinum

Postby spidergod » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:18 am

Hello

Well I do not own an apple product but would love to try Wotja, I think the concept is very interesting.

I do own an android mobile as well, so was wondering if there would be an option for android users to use Wotja.

thanks

imtim
Site Admin

Postby imtim » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:34 am

Hi

Thanks for the response, and understood.

We are considering a Mac version when we next come to update it, but we shall just have to see about an Android version.

atb

tim

spidergod
Platinum

Postby spidergod » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:47 am

So no windows version?

imtim
Site Admin

Postby imtim » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:50 am

There will be in time, yes, we hope so. :)

spidergod
Platinum

Postby spidergod » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:56 am

That will be great and good luck.

imtim
Site Admin

Postby imtim » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:59 am

Thanks! I am sure we will need it!

slipstick
Bronze
antispam_a: cole
antispam_b: 9

Postby slipstick » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:08 pm

Two years on, any word on Windows or Android versions ?

I'm another of those cheapskates who will have nothing to do with overpriced Apple hardware and I'm a bit disappointed that it looks like I'm going to miss out on your latest offerings. I realise I can keep going with Noatikl/Mixtikl for a while yet but it seems they're no longer being developed so are rapidly falling behind the current capabilities of Wotja.

Steve

imtim
Site Admin

Postby imtim » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:38 am

Hi Steve

Sorry we have been disappointing on this front.

We really would love to see Wotja on Android and Windows, too, and we appreciate your interest!

However, the #1 issue for a small developer like us is time. We do our development in Xcode and we no choice right now but to invest our time where the returns are likely to be the greatest for the effort expended (which is always considerable!).

We have many big choices to make and one of those concerns platforms. At issue is whether to use our time on A) further developing / enhancing / improving Wotja for iOS and the results it can create, or B) to port Wotja iOS as is to another mobile platform, or C) to create a new Wotja desktop UI which would of necessity have to be macOS first, and then D) follow that by port to Windows.

For a very complex app like Wotja developing, porting and testing UIs / apps require huge amounts of effort, followed then by continued support on that platform. That being the case, we feel A) is the best route for us at the moment. At some point we will no doubt feel we can take a deep breath and have time to think about one or more of B, C or D, but that is a good ways off.

We already have a Wotja Player for macOS, so the greatest likelihood is that we extend that, but that does not mean turning it into an authoring tool - that would be 3 orders of magnitude a bigger challenge.

So, Wotja will remain on iOS for the time being, sorry. Your current Noatikl and Mixtikl desktop apps should still have a good deal of life left in them however!

Best wishes

tim

slipstick
Bronze
antispam_a: cole
antispam_b: 9

Postby slipstick » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:20 am

Thanks for the reply Tim. I though you might say something like that. While it's not very encouraging from my selfish point of view I have to admit your decisions are entirely logical. I suspect that any additional sales you'd get from extending to other operating systems would hardly be worth the considerable initial effort involved let alone the continuing support load. And it would all take effort away from improving and extending Wotja, which is obviously your main interest.

So thanks for Noatikl/Mixtikl and best of luck for the future. I'll keep checking in just in case things change (or who knows, one day I might even give in and get myself an IPad, yuck! ).

Steve

Return to “Wotja”