Which external apps and synths do you use with MiIDI out in Wotja

Generative Creativity System
Zebra404
Bronze
antispam_a: cole
antispam_b: 9

Which external apps and synths do you use with MiIDI out in Wotja

Postby Zebra404 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:04 am

I would like to know about your experience with external apps and soft synths in combination with Wotja's option MIDI-out.

I use Ableton Live on macOS. This works great, but I am curious about good iOS apps.
I tried Sample Tank on iOS - works good, but not so much options to make your own sounds.
Wich other iOS software do you recommend?

Zebra404

nick
Silver

Re: Which external apps and synths do you use with MiIDI out in Wotja

Postby nick » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:30 pm

Among synth apps, Nave, Thor, and Photophore are standouts for me, and I love all the VirSyn and Klevgränd apps (the latter particularly under AUM, which is great for adding effects chains; their new Baervaag FM synth is a current favourite, especially when run through Crystalline or Vandelay). A lot of people really love Moog Model 15, but though the presets are great the interface is a bit too retro for my taste; I much prefer Animoog in this respect.

While you're there, I just want to say how glad I am I archived all your tweeted Wotja 3 compositions before Wotja 4 made that feed sadly-but-necessarily obsolete! Looking forward even more enthusiastically to your Wotja 4 creations; I love the fact that it now preserves Noatikl voice names so it's easier to see what people are using as a base.
Last edited by nick on Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

imtim
Site Admin
antispam_b: 2

Postby imtim » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:25 pm

nick wrote:I love the fact that it now preserves Noatikl voice names so it's easier to see what people are using as a base.

Cheers Nick. Yes, this was just one of the reasons we wanted to move to a new format for WJ4. Storing all the parameters in a file should be much better suited at helping our community to develop and share knowledge concerning techniques for creating interesting custom content.

atb

tim

Umcorps
Platinum

Postby Umcorps » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:25 pm

Bismark bs-16i (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bismark-bs-16i/id388149926?mt=8) is an excellent iOS soundfont host which plays very nicely with Intermorphic apps.

oldlibmike
Platinum

Postby oldlibmike » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:06 am

I just went to the iPad Pro, so I can drive more iPad synths than I used to. I get pretty good results feeding MIDI from Noatikl (and soon Wotja) into Gadget which lets me set up each track to a MIDI channel and record all of the MIDI concurrently. I also get pretty good results with Cubasis and on occasion Auria Pro (crash prone though). Another good sample to drive if you have the memory/storage is the Colossus Piano - 16gb of samples though, its a beast.

Zebra404
Bronze

Postby Zebra404 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:18 pm

nick wrote:Among synth apps, Nave, Thor, and Photophore are standouts for me, and I love all the VirSyn and Klevgränd apps (the latter particularly under AUM, which is great for adding effects chains; their new Baervaag FM synth is a current favourite, especially when run through Crystalline or Vandelay). A lot of people really love Moog Model 15, but though the presets are great the interface is a bit too retro for my taste; I much prefer Animoog in this respect.

Thanks for your reply. Are the named synths for iOS? If they are, really have to study on that. I have Animoog and that's a cool one indeed. I should check the other ones you mentioned. Thanks again.

nick wrote:While you're there, I just want to say how glad I am I archived all your tweeted Wotja 3 compositions before Wotja 4 made that feed sadly-but-necessarily obsolete! Looking forward even more enthusiastically to your Wotja 4 creations; I love the fact that it now preserves Noatikl voice names so it's easier to see what people are using as a base.

That's funny. I wasn't aware that you were talking about my compositions. Thought that was ment for somebody else ;-)
But thanks for that compliment. It's good to hear that you enjoyed my Wotja's. Great that you 'saved' them from being lost in cyberspace…
If you are curious about my new Wotja 4 compositions you should keep an eye on my MIxlr- account and my YouTube channel. Keyword is Zebra404 ;-)

Zebra404
Bronze

Postby Zebra404 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:20 pm

Umcorps wrote:Bismark bs-16i (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bismark-bs-16i/id388149926?mt=8) is an excellent iOS soundfont host which plays very nicely with Intermorphic apps.

Thanks for that tip Umcorps

Zebra404
Bronze

Postby Zebra404 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:22 pm

oldlibmike wrote:I just went to the iPad Pro, so I can drive more iPad synths than I used to. I get pretty good results feeding MIDI from Noatikl (and soon Wotja) into Gadget which lets me set up each track to a MIDI channel and record all of the MIDI concurrently. I also get pretty good results with Cubasis and on occasion Auria Pro (crash prone though). Another good sample to drive if you have the memory/storage is the Colossus Piano - 16gb of samples though, its a beast.

Thanks for your reply. No iPad Pro (yet). But that will be my next iPad for sure. It will be one with plenty of storage.

Return to “Wotja”