Generative Studio (Music, MIDI, Cut-Up)
oldlibmike
Platinum
antispam_a: cole
antispam_b: 9

Audiobus 3 MIDI

Postby oldlibmike » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:49 am

Hi guys,
Very recently a major release of Audiobus has been rolled out with new support for MIDI routing between iPad applications. I am hoping that Wotja 4 will soon support this new standard with iPad MIDI. I think it is pretty much essential for iPad MIDI standards moving forward and encourage you to at least look into the programming necessary to support this.

impete
Site Admin
antispam_b: 2

Re: Audiobus 3 MIDI

Postby impete » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:23 am

Hi Mike!

I'm sure we'll add support down the road - though we've got our hands full right now working on a major new feature for Wotja 4.3 ...!

The question of AudioBus 3 MIDI support is an interesting one for me; over the years, we've worked hard to handle MIDI I/O from a variety of routes (plug-in hosts of *widely* varying capabilities, MIDI I/O ports ...).

What I'm wondering, is that with Wotja already having extensive support for MIDI I/O (via Core MIDI and Virtual MIDI ports), I was wondering if AudioBus 3 MIDI support would actually make much *practical* difference to iOS workflow (over the existing AudioBus 2 audio and Wotja's MIDI capabilities)? The more we can understand how our tools can best work with our different users varying workflows, the better!

With best wishes,

Pete

oldlibmike
Platinum

Postby oldlibmike » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:32 am

Hi Pete,
Thanks for the reply and I look forward to the enhancements - I'm sure you have quite a list coming. I do think Audiobus is going to be pretty well adapted. What is helps with most with MIDI is the routing of all those apps. It's pretty hard to route MIDI just to the apps you want to and not end up with double-notes or channel conflicts as things stand. With Wotja, I usually route MIDI through other instruments and try to record the MIDI in a DAW like Cubasis, Gadget or Auria Pro (sort of my portable Logic X substitute).

WIth Cubasis, you arm a MIDI track and can put an instrument in it via IAA for example. Playing Wotja into the track does let me record the MIDI usually, but the notes also go to the app that is in memory on the MIDI channel AND Cubasis also forwards the notes yet-again on the same channel often overloading the instrument. There are ways around this, but none of them really make it as easy as Audiobus 3 MIDI routing does. Early days yet so I understand you waiting a bit, but I think it would be a great feature to support (along with Ableton Link for timing).

Speaking of Ableton Link, it is pretty hard to sync up the play button of Wotja with other apps. I always have to start recording, quickly switch over to Wotja and then press "play" which leaves blank space on the track that I later have to edit or quantize out.

Most iOS users tend to mix and match many apps in music composition which every month gets a bit more possible to do. I love to use Wotja as the driver for all of them.

animal
Gold

Postby animal » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:35 am

Hi there, I second this, since Audiobus3-Midi-compatibility is putting a standard in place, with which it will become much easier to accomplish very well defined Midiroutings on ios. Up to now I am appreciating the results that appear from the "promiscuity" of Midi-setups on ios (it tends to surprise me with unexpected behaviour, which I like...), but AB3Midi opens the door for complex AND controlled Midiroutings.
Also, and even more important to me, is a playbutton inside Audiobus (Noatikl has it for quite some time, now, but Wotja still not, which means switching over to Wotja each time, just to press pause/play). Please consider this.
Good wishes, cheers, tobias

impete
Site Admin

Postby impete » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:39 am

Hi folks,

Just FYI, we're still waiting to get access to the Audiobus 3 SDK.

Once we have access, we can start to look at how to integrate it within Wotja.

With best wishes,

Pete

ltf3
Gold

Postby ltf3 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:18 pm

Yes yes yes ... Audiobus 3 MIDI please.

It's my understanding that with it implemented I'll be able to save a Wotja configuration in AB along with the synths I'm triggering with it ... and their sounds. If It works it will be such a relief!

Or perhaps Wotja could offer the ability to plug in IAA instrument apps like an iOS DAW? Anything to be able to save a setup and get back to it later without 15 mins of launching and patching IO...

EIther feature would earn my subscription... I'm still using Noatikl 3. PLayed with the 1 cell - 1 MIDI channel - 1 minute version of Wotja but to be honest it's so restricted i can't judge its potential and I keep going back. Too much friction I'm afraid. I think a 1 cell - 1 minute demo with say 3 MIDI channels would be more instructive.

I know all the IM products have the IM synth engine which avoids all the routing issues... but the modular synth GUI just doesn't do it for me, so I'm always going to want to use the app as a MIDI source, not as a sound generator. THus AB 3 MIDI is a very attractive proposition for me.

oldlibmike
Platinum

Postby oldlibmike » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:48 am

Its great to see Wotja 4 supporting the Audiobus 3 Audio. If you want to route Wotja MIDI to Audiobus 3 MIDI, I'm happy to say that the Midiflow Adapter (http://www.midiflow.com/audiobus/adapter/), works great to bridge Core MIDI from Wotja into Audiobus MIDI. To use it, make sure that Wotja has Core MIDI enabled and Virtual MIDI disabled. Hopefully native Audiobus MIDI support will be forthcoming, but this works pretty well in the meantime.

impete
Site Admin

Postby impete » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:37 am

Many thanks for that, Mike!

We're planning to work to add AudioBus MIDI support in the (relatively) near future, but have other stuff in the Wotja pipeline that we're working through first!

Best wishes,

Pete

Carnbot
Bronze

Postby Carnbot » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:08 am

Great:)
Really looking forward to audiobus 3 midi support. Also state saving would be great too.
Setting up midi routing is a bit fiddly and being able to assign different wotja ports in audiobus midi page would make things a lot easier and more fun to play with.

Return to “Wotja”