Pattern Editor

Generative Studio (Music, MIDI, Cut-Up)
ltf3
Gold

Pattern Editor

Postby ltf3 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:46 pm

Hi

OK so we're all in on Wotja now... subscription payments and all. I'd like to put Koan and Noatikl behind me but....

The one thing that has eluded me for Years is how Koan's pattern editor has never made it into any Intermorphic release. I mean come on... there's a Pattern track type but only a scriptable means of making a musical pattern? Talk about a mood killer... and I'd warrant hardly anyone knows how to use the script. ( yes I know it's documented, but still... )

My aesthetic needs some kind of pattern in the resultant music... I relied on it with Koan ... and it's absence in the iOS development has meant I've never been able to get into the Pad based IM apps. Others have asked for it, the response has always been 'we are too busy' ... but it's been years now.

The 'Grid' composer is ubiquitous in iOS apps ... it's time Wotja got one for the pattern tracks. Seriously...

If you want to maintain a base of subscribers Intermorphic will have to deliver regularly on the useable feature front... I think this would be a huge thing to help new users to get results. Tap in a couple of patterns and let Wotja go at it over the top.

WOuld anyone else like to see this feature returned after nearly twenty years???

impete
Site Admin
antispam_b: 2

Re: Pattern Editor

Postby impete » Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:32 pm

Hi!

The pattern editor, something that has been on my wish-list every since we first worked on Noatikl.

The fact of the matter is that the Koan Pro pattern editor was a very, very complex thing to write. I remember it well - it consumed all our development efforts for a long time. I can't remember exactly how long it took, but I seem to recall it was around 6 months or so. The reason for the complexity? Our pattern format is very flexible, including sequences as well. It is a beast to implement as a UI!

Of course, we started Noatikl "from scratch", and there are a lot more platforms and products to worry about these days than just Windows and Koan Pro. We've simply had our hands full with everything else!

Now that we've consolidated our apps into Wotja 4, and we have a nice implementation for iOS, we have some major UI tasks ahead of us to consider - including the possibility of a full-featured macOS version, and possibly a version for Windows and / or Android. Every one of these is a huge undertaking for us. A new pattern editor is something I'd like to do, but it would need a custom implementation for each platform. That is the nature of user interfaces; the code required is unique to each platform - you can imagine how much time that would take. So, it isn't something we could enter into lightly, and we've not yet taken any decisions one way or the other.

Best wishes,

Pete

imtim
Site Admin

Postby imtim » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:52 pm

Hi ltf3

ltf3 wrote:... there's a Pattern track type but only a scriptable means of making a musical pattern? Talk about a mood killer... and I'd warrant hardly anyone knows how to use the script.

You point is well appreciated...

ltf3 wrote:My aesthetic needs some kind of pattern in the resultant music...... Tap in a couple of patterns and let Wotja go at it over the top.

We understand how useful patterns can be and the SSEYO Koan pattern editor was useful in its own way in that it allowed detailed control over the creation and editing of a pattern. What we are trying to do with Wotja is to make it faster to create results/ideas without having to have so much detailed control over the process (yes, we have a long way to go, but we have made a start).

We stood back and thought about how we could make it easy for anyone to create and use patterns without requiring an editor or having to understand the pattern syntax.

This is where TTM patterns come in. It is very fast and easy to start with (even random) text and randomise it to create a new reproducible seed pattern.

If you want to "Tap in a couple of patterns and let Wotja go at it over the top" then have a try using TTM and serendipity. It requires letting go of control a bit, but the results can be fun, fast and useful and with no pattern editor in sight.

NB: We know that TTM generated patterns cannot yet be exported per se - that is something we hope we can add in the future.

Atb

tim

ltf3
Gold

Postby ltf3 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:01 pm

Thanks for the thoughtful reply ...

I guess I'm struggling to integrate Wotja's wonderful generative potential into some more structured environment than provided inside the app itself. I thought patterns might be some kind of answer...

What would be even more useful is if Wotja appeared as an IAA Audio/MIDI Generator. ... that way it could live in other hosts which would provide sync and then patterns based components could be taken care of by other apps. Another way would be to let Wotja be a plugin host ... and Let us plug in other sound sources into a track ...

I assume IAA was intended to be integrate into iOS apps so might be easier to work with ?

Its just every time i try to use Wotja in conjunction with another rhythm /pattern app I run into barriers due to sync, MIDI io etc.

impete
Site Admin

Postby impete » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:36 pm

Hi!

What would be even more useful is if Wotja appeared as an IAA Audio/MIDI Generator

We're planning to add support for Audiobus MIDI at some point, but we're simply not sure when it might happen - we have a lot of stuff to get done first!

With best wishes,

Pete

oldlibmike
Platinum
antispam_a: cole
antispam_b: 9

Postby oldlibmike » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:38 pm

Not a perfect solution by any means, but now that Listening voices are working again (Yea! Thanks guys), what I do sometimes is take any one of my favorite iPad MIDI sequencers - there's are tons of them - and feed that into the "listening voice" (and possibly also into a synthesizer concurrently). I can then use following voices in Wotja based on what I sequence externally.

impete
Site Admin

Postby impete » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:46 pm

Hi Mike,

Sounds like a neat idea! :)

Pete

Carnbot
Bronze
antispam_a: cole
antispam_b: 9

Postby Carnbot » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:44 am

As well as Audiobus 3 midi support I hope you make adding Ableton Link a priority, this would hugely add to Wotja's potential. Just easy syncing to other sources with Link without doing anything. :)

ltf3
Gold

Postby ltf3 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:20 pm

Agreed

Right now I'm just generating stuff from WOTJA at a certain tempo ... then exporting into a DAW App project running at the same tempo. Kind of works but not ideal. I'd love the interactivity of changing WOTJA parameters while the DAW was doing its thing too!

Return to “Wotja”