ISE ... anyone ?

Generative Music Creator, Mixer & Player System
ltf3
Gold

ISE ... anyone ?

Post by ltf3 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:55 am

Hi

So I’m pretty dissolutioned with iOS and running multiple apps... MIDI, synths whatever. Individually they are great , but getting an ensemble going driven by Wotja (or anything) is very frustrating.

Best way is to stay in one app ... eg Cubasis ... and run the native soundware... maybe an IAA plug in too.

So I went back into Wotja and started messing with the ISE / Network. I understand synths and I get this set up is flexible ... but it’s a huge time suck! Sure I can pick a template, but if I want to fiddle the modules are not really a thing.

So would anyone else like the ISE to a least have the option to appear as a ‘regular’ synth ... that is, sound source > filter>envelope with some modulation inputs to each? Maybe an effect module on output ... all bundled in a single synth control panel?

I can’t take the boxes, sorry.

Either that or IAA/AU plug in slots per track... 8)

Thanks

Umcorps
Platinum
antispam_a: cole
antispam_b: 9

Re: ISE ... anyone ?

Post by Umcorps » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:18 am

So would anyone else like the ISE to a least have the option to appear as a ‘regular’ synth ... that is, sound source > filter>envelope with some modulation inputs to each? Maybe an effect module on output ... all bundled in a single synth control panel?
I do hear you pain (really!) but that's not the solution. If you take a look at any random selection of the ISE settings from any of the sound packs you'll find hardly any of them conform to that standard subtractive architecture. It's simply not flexible enough to deliver what is needed.

I'm very familiar with the problem but I don't think there is a simple answer. My best suggestion would be to have some kind of macro facility within the ISE to allow synth and FX chains to be "skinned". The macro object would in effect sit on top of the synth definition chain and just show a selection of the most important parameters so they could be tweaked and modded from there rather than diving deep into the actual definition.

I know that doesn't solve the problem of defining the chain in the first place but it would make it easier for people to tweak preset and template definitions without being exposed to the guts of what are often rather involved synth definition chains.

But I imagine programming a new module to do that would not be trivial and I think IM might have other priorities.