Micro BR MP3 Trainer: How to adjust volume of MP3?

pocket-sized 4 track music music recorder
d3v14n7
antispam_a: cole
antispam_b: 9

Micro BR MP3 Trainer: How to adjust volume of MP3?

Postby d3v14n7 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:07 pm

Hi all.
I bought the Micro BR a long time ago and have only just started to overcome my fears and learning how to use it little by little.
Recently a band just told me they needed a bassist and I said I'd have a go. I really need to be in a band again.
I wanted to get some specific practice in, rather than my own usual random noodlings so I decided to load a bunch of MP3s into the Micro BR to play along to them - privately.
They get played back typically loud (probably normalised to 0dB) and, for the life of me, I can't find how to change the volume for MP3 playback and it's not in the manual.
It must be there somewhere or this feature would be useless.
It's got time-stretch and centre cancellation for people who want to mimic their favourite songs, so where did they hide the obvious volume control?
I can adjust the input volume for (in this case) my bass via the wheel on the right of the unit.
I can adjust the total output via the wheel on the left side of the unit.
My bass is at full whack and I can hardly hear it!
I can adjust the Sns input to +8dB but that's ridiculous, I shouldn't have to and I get "over" input signal.
Can someone quickly tell me how to do this?
I have a week to make myself feel confident (after a long stint away from it all) and I don't live in the sort of house that I can blast out a bass.
Thanks in advance.

Love_recording
Gold

Re: Micro BR MP3 Trainer: How to adjust volume of MP3?

Postby Love_recording » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:11 pm

There's an oft-forgotten Msster Volume control that appears when you press Utility. You use the + - buttons to adjust it. But I don't know whether or not that will also drop your Input volume as well. Give it a try.

d3v14n7

Postby d3v14n7 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:58 pm

Sorry the reply is late.
Tested it and the name does indeed give it away. It's a "master", which is normally always the final output.
So, it's looking like a massive oversight with this (now seemingly) tagged-on feature, making the Micro BR useless for playing along to MP3s unless you process them to some -dB value first.
Anyone know of any simple free software to do this, without being a whole audio editing suite?
It seems like it's not so bad for guitars as you can find a sound that will cut through (although you shouldn't have to) but that's not a realistic option with bass.
I don't want to use the signal removal feature as I want to actually practice playing along with what the (whole band and the) bassist is playing, not try to play 'instead' of the band's bassist.

Love_recording
Gold

Postby Love_recording » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:05 pm

The only other thing I can think of is to adjust the input sensitivity (one of the settings that appears on the display when you press the Input button - not the wheel on the side) way up on the guitar input. But it may create some distortion.

d3v14n7

Postby d3v14n7 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:49 pm

Hi.
Thanks for replying once more.
I think that what you're suggesting is what I already tried when I stated "I can adjust the Sns input to +8dB but that's ridiculous, I shouldn't have to and I get "over" input signal."
I think we can safely say they seem to have neglected this very obvious feature.
As I won't be using the Trainer for its features - which attempt to cut out frequencies so that I can play my own parts instead - I've resorted to finding a more immediate and practical solution for my requirements.
I've now purchased a Vox AmPlug for bass (as well as the AC30 version for guitar) which has an aux input that I can run a signal through, so I'll use that directly in conjunction with my MP3 player (for portability) or my laptop output or anything else to hand with compatible output to allow me discreet practice.
Thanks anyway for trying.

khkhkh

Postby khkhkh » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:28 am

Just got my Micro BR.

So, with this thread, it's confirmed that it's not possible to adjust the volume for mp3s and guitar independently? :(

tredders

Postby tredders » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:06 am

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but I've just got my Micro BR, uploaded a few MP3's, but found the play along with my bass next to useless as the MP3 volume is higher than the bass input (even after adjusting the input and sensitivity).

From what I've read on this thread, you can't independently change the volume of the MP3?

Is this true? Seems like a huge oversight to me if it's true.

hammer1

Postby hammer1 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:20 pm

tredders wrote:Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but I've just got my Micro BR, uploaded a few MP3's, but found the play along with my bass next to useless as the MP3 volume is higher than the bass input (even after adjusting the input and sensitivity).

From what I've read on this thread, you can't independently change the volume of the MP3?

Is this true? Seems like a huge oversight to me if it's true.

Hi. I found a way around this. You can take your mp3, and using Audacity or something similar, you can lower the overall volume of the track. Then "export as mp3" (Audacity specific) overwriting it on you Micro BR. You can do the whole thing right on your BR, without having to "stage" the mp3 anywhere. Audacity will read it right off the BR and change it. Also I usually change the mp3 to mono in Audacity, and then lower the overall volume. It's easier than lowering 2 or more tracks of the same mp3.

What this does is makes the mp3 overall volume lower, and therefore the volume control on the BR is more effective, and the input (guitar) volume can be brought to the same level and even higher. Once you do it a couple of times you will get an idea of where you need to lower it in Audacity or whatever tool you decide to use, and then can do it for all your mp3s on the BR, and any future ones you want to load.

Hope this helps.

1gpdrive

Postby 1gpdrive » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:21 am

There is a free ware program called MP3Gain which can lower or raise the overall gain of the MP3 which makes all the files uniform in loudness on playback. I can select files individually or in folder and set a level of loudness to a desired one. Check for the file here http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/.

Return to “Boss Micro Br”