Too much distortion on the MICRO BR!!

pocket-sized 4 track music music recorder
PianoManOwen
antispam_a: cole
antispam_b: 9

Too much distortion on the MICRO BR!!

Postby PianoManOwen » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:44 pm

I have tried all different things to get a good sound.

I want to record vocal and piano same time so I do this; I have Shure SM58 and my stage piano plugged into a mixer. Then I use the aux (out) of the mixer to the line-in on the Micro BR. I find I can control the sound better this way.

My problem is distortion, I have to put the sensitivity all the way down on the BR and also put the volume quite low on my mixer. This results in me almost not hearing a thing when recording. Then when I record I hear no disortion but loads of it when playback?

trsa_toccata

Re: Too much distortion on the MICRO BR!!

Postby trsa_toccata » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:40 am

Hello PianoManOwen,

I have same problem. You can try to connect your headphones to the mixer's headphones out, and intensify headphones volume on mixer. You'll get louder sound on your headphones, and without distortion in recorded track. But if you use the Micro BR effect, you wil be unable to hear it from mixer.
Hope, it helps you...

Regards!

robin.b.hendon

Postby robin.b.hendon » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:29 pm

Hi all - I'm really surprised that the forum isn't full of threads on distortion. I've had my box of tricks for five and a half years now, and still haven't managed to tame the distortion completely, after juggling the input sens, the preamp vol and everything else I can find. I record a Strat and Epiphone. Above the 12th fret there is screaming intermodulation distortion (sum+difference of the notes, sounds HORRIBLE!). In the lower registers though, there is still some perceptible distortion, especially if the strings are smacked staccato. Note that I never record with the volume showing clipping.

Do we have a tech expert pleeeez?

twangit

Postby twangit » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:03 pm

Hardly an expert here, but simply by turning OFF the pre amp, removes the distortion (ya I realize that's not a great solution but it still keeps the other effects, (pre amp stage on the unit kinda sucks anyways)

Natterjack

Postby Natterjack » Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:45 pm

*turn off the pre amp - do you mean turn the "input level" dial down to zero?? Or v. low? - the manual doesn't explain the difference between adjusting Sensitivity & adjusting input level. Turning either down reduces distortion but also makes the recording very quiet.
I've been recording some quite hard-strumming acoustic guitar lately. My (electro-) acoustic has a lead but it seems to record better through the onboard microphone in the BR rather than via the guitar jack.

Return to “Boss Micro Br”