tempo trouble

pocket-sized 4 track music music recorder
junfan1767
antispam_a: cole
antispam_b: 9

tempo trouble

Postby junfan1767 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:33 pm

i may be having a blonde moment but i record a song say in tempo 100 save it ( stop and record)
then when i re load the song the tempo is 120......HELP HELP

Love_recording
Gold
antispam_a: cole
antispam_b: 9

Re: tempo trouble

Postby Love_recording » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:13 pm

Everybody experiences this regardless of hair color.

The tempo is not saved as part of the song. That's why part of my notes that I keep with every song is the tempo setting. Same with the drum kit setting - it's not saved.

Those setting don't become part of your recording until you do a Bounce and include the rhythm track in the bounce. But of course, then you can no longer make adjustments to it after you've bounced it. Again, that's a good reason to keep notes so that if you need to backup to before your bouce and re-bounce it you will have all the settings noted to recreate what you did before.

64Guitars
Silver
antispam_b: 2

Re: tempo trouble

Postby 64Guitars » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:28 pm

Tempo applies to the drum machine only. The drum machine has two modes: Pattern mode and Arrangement mode. Pattern mode is not very useful for recording. Who wants just one pattern repeating endlessly while they record? Boring! Arrangement mode is meant for recording. It allows you to use as many patterns as you like in a song and specify when they're to change. You specify the patterns in a series of simple steps. For example, step 1 might be to play preset pattern P002:ROCK1­V1 for 4 measures. Then step 2 might tell the drum machine to switch to pattern P220:JAZZ2­V2 for 8 measures. Step 3 might again play P002:ROCK1­V1 for 4 measures. And so on.

The tempo setting on the main screen is only temporary. It is not saved with the song. But the tempo setting in each step of an arrangement is saved with the song. And because each step has its own tempo setting, you can create arrangements that vary in tempo. For example, you might have a slow song with a faster middle 8.

Whenever you create a new song project, the first thing you should do is put the BR into arrangement mode and set the tempo and pattern of step 1. You don't have to create a full arrangement at this point. One step is all that's needed to specify and save the tempo. You can always add more steps later to jazz up the arrangement.

Although, there are a couple of steps that you might want to add right away. The arrangement will always repeat the last step until you press STOP. If you want it to stop automatically after a certain number of measures, just set the pattern of the last step to P327:BREAK. This pattern makes no sound. So, even though it will still repeat until you press STOP, it will be silent. The other thing you might want is a count-in. For a simple count-in, just set the pattern of step 1 to P314:Metro4/4. This is the metronome in 4/4 time. If you want the count-in to last for two measures, set the starting measure of step 2 to 3.

So, a good arrangement to start with in every new song project might look something like this:

Step 1 - P314:Metro4/4 - 120 bpm - starting measure 1
Step 2 - P002:ROCK1­V1 - 120 bpm - starting measure 3
Step 3 - P327:BREAK - 120 bpm - starting measure 123

Adjust tempo, patterns, and starting measures as desired.

For more info, see these pages:

http://songcrafters.org/64guitars/BR/Tutorials/Rhythm_Guide_Intro.html

http://songcrafters.org/64guitars/BR/Tutorials/Arrangement_Example.html

Return to “Boss Micro Br”