Best MIC/Line-in settings to record rehearsal

pocket-sized 4 track music music recorder
Baldadi
antispam_b: 2

Best MIC/Line-in settings to record rehearsal

Postby Baldadi » Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:40 am

Hi there,

can anyone share experiences on recording with the BR in the rehearsal room?

More specifically: is there a particular patch/preset you use which gives good results (we play quite loud: soul/funk/rock).

We plan to record basically in MP3 mode (192kbps) with an external stereo mic (Sony).

Kind regards,
R.

tmon
Silver

Using an external mic to record to MP3

Postby tmon » Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:41 pm

One thing I don't like about the Micro BR is all the steps you have to go through to do this.

1. Change the input to EXT.
2. Turn on PlugInPower.
2. Decrease Sensitivity with the +/- buttons- you have to experiment with this, as it probably varies according to what external mic you are using? I've been pulling my setting down to around -5 dB.
3. Switch to mp3 mode.
4. Hit the REC button once, choose kbps with the +/- buttons.
5. Set input level with the input level wheel.

Unfortunately, you have to experiment. I like to have the drummer give me a loud snare hit, and then adjust the input level to below clipping based upon that.

Another thing I learned is that you have to disable Auto Power OFF.

Baldadi

Postby Baldadi » Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:57 pm

Thanks.
But do I understand correctly that recording in MP3 mode means I cannot use the effects (like compressor)?

Bye, R

tmon
Silver

Postby tmon » Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:20 pm

Yeah, I don't think you can. I'm not positive, but I think yer right - no effects in mp3 record mode....will have to confirm in the manual.

Dan in NJ

Recording Rehearsals

Postby Dan in NJ » Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:36 pm

Have you tried/ is it possible to set the input sensitivity low enough and record rehearsals (for reference purposes, not super-hi-quality) w/ the built-in?

Just got the Micro, excuse me if it's a stupid question (I haven't gone thru the entire manual yet)

Also, Tim if I do have to go the Core sounds route do you get the lo-sensitivity cheap binaural mic or the standard version?

thanks!

I'm pretty impressed w/ the Micro so far--

tmon
Silver

Postby tmon » Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:44 pm

Just hit "input" and select "MIC" to use the on-board, built-in MONO mic.
It really doesn't sound bad at all. You have to experiment with the settings.

I.e. How loud is your drummer? ;)

I use the Low-cost binaurals from Core-Sound. They work great for rehearsals, IMHO.

Dan in NJ

rehearsal taping

Postby Dan in NJ » Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:14 am

thnx Tmon--

I'll give it a try w/ the onboard--reason I asked was I had a mini disc at one point, thing brickwalled at any kind of volume--

hoping this will do better--

digging the micro so far--

femmefatale

core sound low cost binaurals and the Micro Br

Postby femmefatale » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:26 pm

I´m considering this mic for the following reasons:

1. wann try a binaural, and this one is relatively cheap and easy to use
2. easy to split cable for interviews

I notice tmon, you use these, and specifically would like to hear how they sound on close up mono vocals - like 2 inches away from the mouth or throat. I'd be using them in mono for both interviews as well as beat-box style vocals.

Anyone else try them out.... opinions?

jmccull1
Bronze

Postby jmccull1 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:38 pm

I play in a blues/rock band. We play pretty loud at rehearsal. Try to remember that the Micro BR shines as a tool to capture ideas, whether recording rehearsal, or to multitrack a song idea. A lot of people seem to get frustrated that they can't recreate the same quality sound heard on a professionally recorded CD! The Micro BR will not replace a professional studio, but it is light years from my Fostex 4 track from 25 years ago!

Here's what I do to record rehearsal:

-I use the onboard mic. It's just rehearsal, and frankly, it does a pretty good job. Be careful though, as it does pick up noise thru the case.

-Select the MIC input. Set the input attenuation down(I do -7dB). I use the Ag3B Cmp on the input(MC>P03)

-Record part of a song, preferably something with dynamics...at least something with your highest volume in it.

-Tell your bandmates to be quiet(no noodling) while you review to make sure your levels are correct.

-Reset MBR to OO:OO, PRESS 'REC' THEN 'PLAY'. Simple enough, but I've been known to only press 'PLAY'(losing hours of material!)

-I choose to start the machine and let it run. We rehearse for about 3 hours. You can pause it in between, but inevitably, you will eventually forget to hit RECORD! A 1G card holds over 10 hours of single track music. Edit it later!

-Once you are done, master the rehearsal in the MBR, and export as an MP3. Get some simple file splitting software( http://www.pistonsoft.com/). It should take you about 10 minutes to locate song breaks and split into individual files, if you choose to do so.

Enjoy your Micro BR! It's a great tool.

Al

Postby Al » Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:08 am

Baldadi wrote:Thanks.
But do I understand correctly that recording in MP3 mode means I cannot use the effects (like compressor)?

Bye, R

thats right, but why bother recording in mp3?
try normal track recording using two tracks and the full set of features incl. comp.
exporting the recording to mp3 is just miutes and gives you the mastering option as add-on, if you would like to correct things after recording.

cheers
Al

jakjamm
antispam_a: cole
antispam_b: 9

Re: Using an external mic to record to MP3

Postby jakjamm » Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:42 pm

tmon wrote:One thing I don't like about the Micro BR is all the steps you have to go through to do this.

1. Change the input to EXT.
2. Turn on PlugInPower.
2. Decrease Sensitivity with the +/- buttons- you have to experiment with this, as it probably varies according to what external mic you are using? I've been pulling my setting down to around -5 dB.
3. Switch to mp3 mode.
4. Hit the REC button once, choose kbps with the +/- buttons.
5. Set input level with the input level wheel.

Unfortunately, you have to experiment. I like to have the drummer give me a loud snare hit, and then adjust the input level to below clipping based upon that.

Another thing I learned is that you have to disable Auto Power OFF.

Hello Mr tmon
Thanks for the information .........this is very help full for me...

Jak

Return to “Boss Micro Br”