Needs Simple Instruction Please

pocket-sized 4 track music music recorder
Labrabob
antispam_a: cole
antispam_b: 9

Needs Simple Instruction Please

Postby Labrabob » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:47 pm

I've had the BOSS MICRO BR for a couple of years now and every now and then I decide that I will finally again try and figure out how it works. So far the only things I have figured out from the manual are 1) How to turn the power on and 2) How to use it as a guitar tuner. In total I have spent many hours trying to learn how to use this piece of technology. It has proven to be the most complicated recorder I have ever tried to use in my entire 51 years of life so far.

Can anyone please tell me in plain simple English how to very simply just record a voice (I.e. sound) with this gadget. I have come to the realization that if I can at least learn how to record voice, it is not a totally useless investment. :cry: After all the money it cost and all the time I've had, and frustration of back referencing through the manual trying to figure out what this and that means, this is all I am asking for: How can I record the sound of a voice with this thing? :?:

After that, is it also possible to listen to the recording of my voice? If so, can someone also please guide me in very simple English through the steps to listen to my voice after I have recorded it?

It would be very much appreciated. :?:

Love_recording
Gold

Re: Needs Simple Instruction Please

Postby Love_recording » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:06 pm

I'll give it a try. A few months ago I answered a similar question so I just went back to that and copied and pasted from that:

When I first got mine I found it very non-intuitive. As I worked with it and re-read the manual it suddenly "clicked" and now I feel its extremely powerful. You kind of have to adjust your internal visualization of what you're creating to match the way the device works.

1) First you have to select the Input you're going to use to record with the Input button.
By default it will record first on Track1. Record your rhythm guitar on Track 1.
Use the Rew transport key to go back to the start.

2) Now select the input for your vocals - probably the built-in mic. It works really well but its sensitive so you have to not move your hand if you're holding it like a mic because the friction will be picked up. With your headphones on, press Rec. The Track indicator will flash for you to select the track to record on. Select track 2 so you don't record over your rhythm guitar on Track 1.
Press Play and you'll hear the rhythm guitar in the headphones while you record your singing.

3) Now rewind again, select the input to use for your Leads, press Rec, select track 3 to record on and press play.

And so on. After you've filled 4 tracks and you still want to add more then read the section on Bounce.

After you've recorded everything you can still go back and play with the levels of each track, add or diminsh reverb, etc. But also be sure to play with Panning each track side-to-side. You'd be surprised what a dramatic effect just creating a stereo image using the Pan setting has on the fullness of the recording.

All these level, reverb, and pan adjustments are done in the "Track mode", which you access by pressing any of the 4 track buttons and then using the cursor left/right buttons to sequence through the options. You can perform all these adjustments while listening to playback and instantly hear the effect of each adjustment.

Another tip: perform these final adjustments listening on a stereo, not headphones. I've found that a final mix that you think sounds great in the headphones doesn't sound so great when you listen to it on a stereo in a room.

Another tip: I've found one Effect that I really like for vocals. My voice isn't so great but it becomes more presentable when I use the Vocal Comp effect. This can even be added afterwards in the mixing process.
- Press the Effect button and press the track 1 button to turn Effects on.
- use Value +- to select the effect: P09:Vo Comp
- use cursor button to bring up the LOC (location) selection and press track 1 to select it.
- use Value +- to select the track your vocals are on.
Sounds like a lot but here's what you did in the above steps. You turned Effects on, Selected the Vocal Compression effect, and then told it to apply the effect to the Track that your vocals are on.

AdeK

Postby AdeK » Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:27 am

I've found a series of step-by-step videos on YouTube. Extremely helpful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zm6o7Xus ... re=related

khkhkh

Postby khkhkh » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:56 am

I just got my the machine and I find your explanation quite useful.

However, all I ever wanted was to record my lead over an mp3 backing track.

So....

Can i just play the mp3 and record my guitar at once?

ie. as mentioned in your step 1 ------- instead of recording a rhythm track, can I just "upload" the backing track from the SD card into Track 1? Or is there any other way?

One more question, is it possible for me to turn off all of the effects ie. flanger, chorus, delay as I want to start experimenting the sounds from scratch. I believe the Micro BR was defaulted with the effects as I can hear it if you play in SUPERCLEAN.

Thanks

Love_recording wrote:I'll give it a try. A few months ago I answered a similar question so I just went back to that and copied and pasted from that:

When I first got mine I found it very non-intuitive. As I worked with it and re-read the manual it suddenly "clicked" and now I feel its extremely powerful. You kind of have to adjust your internal visualization of what you're creating to match the way the device works.

1) First you have to select the Input you're going to use to record with the Input button.
By default it will record first on Track1. Record your rhythm guitar on Track 1.
Use the Rew transport key to go back to the start.

2) Now select the input for your vocals - probably the built-in mic. It works really well but its sensitive so you have to not move your hand if you're holding it like a mic because the friction will be picked up. With your headphones on, press Rec. The Track indicator will flash for you to select the track to record on. Select track 2 so you don't record over your rhythm guitar on Track 1.
Press Play and you'll hear the rhythm guitar in the headphones while you record your singing.

3) Now rewind again, select the input to use for your Leads, press Rec, select track 3 to record on and press play.

And so on. After you've filled 4 tracks and you still want to add more then read the section on Bounce.

After you've recorded everything you can still go back and play with the levels of each track, add or diminsh reverb, etc. But also be sure to play with Panning each track side-to-side. You'd be surprised what a dramatic effect just creating a stereo image using the Pan setting has on the fullness of the recording.

All these level, reverb, and pan adjustments are done in the "Track mode", which you access by pressing any of the 4 track buttons and then using the cursor left/right buttons to sequence through the options. You can perform all these adjustments while listening to playback and instantly hear the effect of each adjustment.

Another tip: perform these final adjustments listening on a stereo, not headphones. I've found that a final mix that you think sounds great in the headphones doesn't sound so great when you listen to it on a stereo in a room.

Another tip: I've found one Effect that I really like for vocals. My voice isn't so great but it becomes more presentable when I use the Vocal Comp effect. This can even be added afterwards in the mixing process.
- Press the Effect button and press the track 1 button to turn Effects on.
- use Value +- to select the effect: P09:Vo Comp
- use cursor button to bring up the LOC (location) selection and press track 1 to select it.
- use Value +- to select the track your vocals are on.
Sounds like a lot but here's what you did in the above steps. You turned Effects on, Selected the Vocal Compression effect, and then told it to apply the effect to the Track that your vocals are on.

Return to “Boss Micro Br”