latency on Listening voices

Tell us what doesn't work as it should
nick
Silver
antispam_a: cole
antispam_b: 9

latency on Listening voices

Postby nick » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:40 am

I'm finding Listening voices, or rather Following voices responding to them, abnormally sluggish compared to Noatikl 3. Even with the audio and MIDI latency turned down to their minimum, there's a significant lag on the ISE response compared to Noatikl, and a smaller but still very noticeable increased latency on MIDI output. I can take a Noatikl file that responds to input notes pretty much instantly, and when I open it in Wotja there's a very audible lag even with the latency settings as low as they'll go. Is this a known issue, or am I missing a setting somewhere?

impete
Site Admin
antispam_b: 2

Re: latency on Listening voices

Postby impete » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:37 pm

Hi Nick,

The audio latency in Wotja is quite a bit higher than in Noatikl.

The reasons for this are related to our move to 48 kHz (from 44 kHz), and having to cater for some iOS devices that break-up with audio without an increased amount of audio buffering.

However, there are quite a few settings nowadays related to audio and MIDI latency in Wotja, to try and help users "tune" the app to their specific hardware configuration. That said, it looks like you've probably already experimented with these, and therefore I'm not sure what to suggest at this point...

This is an area we're always looking to improve however, and we're looking to do more on Wotja's MIDI connectivity in the future, so hopefully we'll be able to figure-out a better, lower-latency solution at some point down the road.

Best wishes,

Pete

nick
Silver
antispam_a: cole
antispam_b: 9

Postby nick » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:35 pm

Thanks, Pete – and I should have said that I do greatly appreciate the additional latency controls, which are great to have and do make a big difference (without them, the latency on Listening voices is measurable in seconds). It's not a showstopper for me, but I do feel that Listening voices have tremendous potential even without scripting, and they were my favourite thing about the last iOS versions of Noatikl; glad to know you're on the case.

One very simple thing I've always rather hankered after is to be able to play the ISE as a monophonic synth from an external MIDI controller, which currently depends on going through a rather complex runaround of Listening and Following voices with associated Rule tweaks to output a note of (sometimes, approximately!) the same pitch and duration as you play in. I realise that's almost exactly the opposite of how the ISE is designed to work, but for sound-design purposes there'd be a lot to be said for being able to hear immediately how a patch responds to notes of different pitches and durations without having to enter them all manually in the IME. I imagine you guys have a way to do this when you're developing ISE patches, but it would be great to have an easier handle on this at the user end; I really like interacting with Wotja through an instrument rather than through the interface, and some of the sounds the ISE is capable of (I'm looking at you, Cosmic Bass patches) are so gorgeous that it seems a shame to restrict them to strictly generative output.

impete
Site Admin
antispam_b: 2

Postby impete » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:42 pm

Hi Nick,

Firstly, many thanks for such nice comments on the sound patches!

Mark Harrop takes full credit for those - he is something of a synth genius, and has been a good friend and collaborator of ours for very many years now. We're lucky to know him!

So far as MIDI control of Wotja goes, suffice to say that we have what we think are some very interesting ideas, but we also have a lot of other things to do first :)

With best wishes,

Pete

Return to “Bug Reports”