Tell us what doesn't work as it should
nick
Gold
antispam_a: cole
antispam_b: 9

IAA, saved files, play button

Post by nick » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:58 pm

An update on various misbehaviours!

1. I'm afraid the IAA problem is still there. At best I'm getting constant pops and crackles; at worst, particularly in AUM, there's a loud continuous buzz. Changing the audio rate alters the tone of the buzz, but that's all. Tested with Audiobus 2 (not 3) and AUM in iOS 9.3.3 (iPad Pro 9.7") and 10.1.1 (iPod Touch 6).

2. I'm no longer able to see any of my saved .noatikl files at all now in the templates list under the Random settings screen, either from the files screen or from the settings inside a document. This was working at one stage and then stopped, I think between updates; I tap on Saved Files in the left-hand pane but nothing shows on the right.

3. This is pretty trivial by comparison, but I've been noticing the play button seems less responsive than in previous versions. The one in the bottom toolbar needs an extra tap to start it playing again immediately (less than a couple of seconds) after a stop, and displays the stop icon with the Play text. The one in the top toolbar (in album view) has always been a bit sluggish and you have to wait for the pink "Playing" to disappear before it'll respond to a tap, but that too seems to take longer to reset than it did.

imtim
Site Admin
antispam_b: 2

Re: IAA, saved files, play button

Post by imtim » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:01 pm

Hi Nick

Thanks for your reports....
nick wrote: 1. I'm afraid the IAA problem is still there. At best I'm getting constant pops and crackles; at worst, particularly in AUM, there's a loud continuous buzz. Changing the audio rate alters the tone of the buzz, but that's all. Tested with Audiobus 2 (not 3) and AUM in iOS 9.3.3 (iPad Pro 9.7") and 10.1.1 (iPod Touch 6).
The buzz should be much better now as it was related to some deep issue regarding audio rampdown and the looping of a tail end and we tried to address that as best we could. Could you please try something? Before stopping your mix playing, could you please try turning down the track volumes, or even soloing and empty track. That should be workaround for now. Could you let us know if that works for you? Thanks...
nick wrote: 2. I'm no longer able to see any of my saved .noatikl files at all now in the templates list under the Random settings screen, either from the files screen or from the settings inside a document. This was working at one stage and then stopped, I think between updates; I tap on Saved Files in the left-hand pane but nothing shows on the right.
Hmm, I have just checked this and it appears you are right. Drat. That pesky thing was fixed and now isn't. :( We will relook at that again, sorry...
nick wrote: 3. This is pretty trivial by comparison, but I've been noticing the play button seems less responsive than in previous versions. The one in the bottom toolbar needs an extra tap to start it playing again immediately (less than a couple of seconds) after a stop, and displays the stop icon with the Play text. The one in the top toolbar (in album view) has always been a bit sluggish and you have to wait for the pink "Playing" to disappear before it'll respond to a tap, but that too seems to take longer to reset than it did.
Hmm.... This may be related to the fix we put in place for IAA/Audiobus, but there is also a possibility this is related to the Mix Ramp Down setting you are using for mixes/and albums. For mixes see: https://intermorphic.com/wotja/guide/#p ... cell-rules. Wrt albums, we have an internal default ramp down time after stop has been pressed of 2 seconds (if I recall correctly). We increased that to make it smoother, so maybe that is what you are noticing there?

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated...

nick
Gold
antispam_a: cole
antispam_b: 9

Post by nick » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:38 pm

imtim wrote: Wrt albums, we have an internal default ramp down time after stop has been pressed of 2 seconds (if I recall correctly). We increased that to make it smoother, so maybe that is what you are noticing there?
Five seconds, apparently, but you're right: turning it down to 2 seconds restores the Play button to something like its old responsiveness. Thanks! – I really need to pay more attention to Ramp Up/Down, which I've realised I rarely touch…
imtim wrote:Could you please try something? Before stopping your mix playing, could you please try turning down the track volumes, or even soloing and empty track. That should be workaround for now. Could you let us know if that works for you?
I'm getting rather inconsistent results here now and will need to experiment further; it seems to be easier to get rid of the buzz than the crackle, but I can't yet tell what I'm doing right (if anything). I didn't notice any direct consequences of turning track volumes down or soloing an empty cell, but I may not have been following directions correctly. (Should I be saving the mix afterwards or discarding changes? Should I expect the noise to disappear immediately or on reopening?)

imtim
Site Admin
antispam_b: 2

Post by imtim » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:19 pm

Hi Nick

We have now submitted a new update for Apple review. Fixes the .noatikl template and Play/Stop button issues amongst other things.
Should I be saving the mix afterwards or discarding changes? Should I expect the noise to disappear immediately or on reopening?
No need to save; the suggestion is all about reducing the mix volume to 0 (rather than waiting for the ramp down period) before stopping the mix. This should clear the audio buffer before you then restart it again.

hth!

tim