Wotja 4 has arrived!

Generative Music Creativity System
imtim
Site Admin
antispam_b: 2

Wotja 4 has arrived!

Postby imtim » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:21 pm

Wotja 4 was released on Feb 14th 2017.

EDIT Concerned about subscriptions? Please see - viewtopic.php?f=25&t=2283#p8782

It is a reflective & generative music authoring sytem, mixer and player all in one. There is an authoring version for iOS and a companion player app for macOS.

Wotja 4 for iOS incorporates some of the best features of Noatikl, Mixtikl and Tiklbox and can import/export Noatikl 3 and Mixtikl 7 files.

We are only human and trying to balance a load of spinning plates all at once. That means we will have got some things wrong, and we may have missed others. Don't worry, we will do our best to right any wrongs, so please be patient with us.

One of the things we have changed straight away is the price for the IAP ESSENTIALS Subscription. We realised we had not got that right for launch so we have now reduced it considerably. We will be sticking with a subscription model, however, as it has many benefits to all and is the only way we can really move forward. It is very easy to turn off auto-renewal which means that when the subscription eventually lapses Wotja reverts back to basic free operation (and there is a huge amount that can be done for free, way more than ever before).

See also these FAQ entries:
Noatikl - https://intermorphic.com/noatikl/#faq-noatikl-v-wotja
Mixtikl - https://intermorphic.com//mixtikl/#faq-mixtikl-v-wotja

We hope you enjoy Wotja!

Best wishes,

Tim & Pete

oldlibmike
Platinum
antispam_a: cole
antispam_b: 9

Re: Wotja 4 has arrived!

Postby oldlibmike » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:08 am

Hi Tim and Pete,
Looking at the new Wotja 4. In the free version it appears the turning off the ISE for sounds and effects doesn't turn off the internal sound. I can route channel 1 to MIDI, but the internal sounds always play as well. Is this a limitation of the free tier or unintended? Looks interesting, still wrapping my head around it after years of using Noatikl...

Mike

impete
Site Admin

Postby impete » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:28 am

Hi Mike,

Thanks for reporting this.

That looks like a bug, so I've logged it and we'll investigate and see how to fix it!

Best wishes,

Pete

oldlibmike
Platinum

Postby oldlibmike » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:41 pm

Hi Pete,
Cool. I'll keep playing around with it. I got the update a few minutes after I posted, but that issue appears to be there still.
Hope it goes well - I'll try to put a review of it out on the iPadMusician facebook page once I get a feel for it. I'm assuming this is probably the future for the Noatikl/Mixtikl/Wotja products - looks to combine the best of each.

impete
Site Admin

Postby impete » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:17 pm

Hi Mike,

Thanks - yes, I've not yet had a chance to investigate. It probably won't get done for a week or two, as we've got some major changes being worked on right now, but it is there at the top of our issue tracking system!

Yes, Wotja is the future for us moving forward. Tim has posted elsewhere on the reasons for consolidating, and it makes a huge difference to our ability to respond & make changes & generally improve things faster! I hope you like it!

Best wishes,

Pete

nick
Bronze

Postby nick » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:15 pm

A couple of (I think) undocumented things I've appreciated:
  • I'm not sure what you've done to the audio engine, but all my old files sound unquantifiably better. Some of them play louder than before and have needed amping down to avoid audio overload, but that's not really an issue. I used to get quite a lot of audio pops in Noatikl 3, and often found myself having to import them into Wotja 3 to play them smoothly; I still got the very occasional pop in 4.0, but even that's gone now.
  • If you use iExplorer or a jailbreak file manager to copy your old Wotja 3, Mixtikl 7, or Noatikl 3 files into the Wotja 4 documents folder, they display with their original app icons (nice touch), open and play normally, and when you close give you the option to convert them to Wotja 4 or leave them in the original format. This is really civilised and nicely thought through, considering only users with filesystem access will even do this. (Maybe it's part of a plan to add an Open in Wotja 4 export option to the final versions of Mixtikl 7 & Noatikl 3, but you didn't have to do it for the discontinued Wotja 3. Greatly appreciated.)

impete
Site Admin

Postby impete » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:30 pm

Hi Nick,

Many thanks for getting in touch.

Off the top of my head, I can't think what might have caused your files to become louder - I checked my notes, and found that I adjusted the sample-based levels "up" by 8 dB *way* back when we introduced the stereo synth pipeline for Noatikl 3 - but can't think what else it might be. Anyhow - excellent to hear that Wotja is sounding great for you!

The "latency" of the audio interface in Wotja 4 has been tweaked since Noatikl 3, to reduce the possibility of "pops", so i'm very pleased to hear that has helped you.

We were careful that Wotja "preserved" the original files, as we're very aware that there will be users who wanted to keep backward compatibility, without the app accidentally overwriting their old files (for example, desktop users of Noatikl and/or Mixtikl). We know that Wotja 4 won't suit everybody at the moment - but hope that now we're in a position to continually improve it, we'll add more and more reasons for users of Noatikl/Mixtikl to adopt it - so we're certainly aware of the need to keep backward compatibility where possible. Very glad to hear that you appreciate our efforts with this!

With best wishes,

Pete

impete
Site Admin

Postby impete » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:59 pm

Hi Mike,

oldlibmike wrote:Hi Tim and Pete,
Looking at the new Wotja 4. In the free version it appears the turning off the ISE for sounds and effects doesn't turn off the internal sound.

This is now fixed. It'll be in the next update to Wotja, which will go into internal Beta testing in a few days.

I hope you're having fun with Wotja!

Best wishes,

Pete

oldlibmike
Platinum

Postby oldlibmike » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:55 pm

Great news! Looking forward to working more with it soon. Still Noatikl'ing in the meantime....

Return to “Wotja”